Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Infection  (Read 926 times)

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Infection
« on: October 08, 2015, 04:45:16 am »
Ok, the background information.  2 weeks ago I brewed a sweet stout.  It was based off Gordon Strong's recipe and I've done it before with great results.  Pretty standard brew day- I did cold steep the dark grains.  I had a 1 1/2 liter stirplate starter (002) built.  Now I had previously planned to brew the weekend before so that starter had been sitting in the fridge for about a week.  I brewed as usual and pitched the yeast.  Checked on it the next day- no signs of fermentation.  I waited another day- no signs of fermentation.  I pitched my yeast bank (I always oversize my starters by 1/2 liter and save it in a pint jar) 002 on the third day.  Slow signs of fermentation ensued so I left it alone for 1 1/2 weeks.  Took a gravity sample yesterday before racking as I was concerned about an incomplete fermentation.  1.022 and a strong taste of acetic acid.

So I'll dump the batch but I want to make sure that nothing survives in that glass carboy.  The plan is to clean the carboy as usual and then fill it with chlorine bleach solution for a day, clean it again, and sanitize as usual (StarSan or SaniClean).  Will this be sufficient?

Thanks in advance

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Infection
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 04:57:41 am »
That regime should be more than enough to clean the glass.  Glass doesn't normally have nooks and crannies or fine cracks like plastic so it cleans up pretty easily.

It always sucks to lose a batch.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?