Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Filtering After Moving To Secondary Fermenter  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Aggelos

• 1st Kit
Filtering After Moving To Secondary Fermenter
« on: October 08, 2015, 10:04:56 am »
I am a beginner at brewing mead to start off with. My first batches I wasn't aware that you needed to separate the mead from the yeast after primary fermentation was complete. This caused my mead to be flavored vodka instead of proper mead.

My latest batch I used an auto-siphon to get it out of the yeast just shy of one month and the mead was still cloudy but I did get out of the majority of the yeast. Now about a month later it is clear as in the attachment below BUT there is alot of sediment on the bottom.

I was thinking of just using a water filter like a Britta or something to filter out any particles but I am worried that it will effect the taste of the mead as this batch has a wonderful taste already and I was curious how other mead makers get their meads clear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
Re: Filtering After Moving To Secondary Fermenter
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 10:33:32 am »
Don't use a Brita. Simply re-rack again and let that settle. It is painful, but rack above that lees and try to leave a little clear mead on it. If you get lees then try some gelatin or SuperKleer.

I rack most of my meads at least three times and then fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline Aggelos

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 11:04:42 am »
Don't use a Brita. Simply re-rack again and let that settle. It is painful, but rack above that lees and try to leave a little clear mead on it. If you get lees then try some gelatin or SuperKleer.

I rack most of my meads at least three times and then fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! I wanted to make sure to maintain the taste that had been produced because everything I have been reading says after primary fermentation you need to get it out of the yeast or else the yeast could give off bad flavors but I wasn't 100% sure on how to do it. Glad to see I can just re-rack until it is clear! Thank you!

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 11:55:39 am »
Sure thing.

FYI - the Brita filter would completely change the flavor profiles, and the activated carbon most likely would remove any of the delicate volatiles. If you start doing larger batches, you might consider a plate filter. You can find one online at most wine supply providers, but they can be a PITA if you don't have the right setup.

Do be careful racking. Rack as still as possible to avoid excess oxygen exposure. I like to purge my secondary with CO2 and rack then.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline Aggelos

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 12:24:53 pm »
Yeah that is what I was most fearful of was having the carbon filter effect the flavors. My setup is EXTREMELY basic as I just started. I have been eyeing up that FastFerment system since the design sounds awesome for removing the yeast bed from the must but I have to talk my wife into letting me spend the extra cash for it.

I don't mind a little sediment I just wanted to make sure I got as MUCH out as possible to that it didn't negatively effect the final flavoring.

One final question: What yeast do you use for your mead? I used Lavlin D-47 Wine Yeast last time. It seemed to work well I am just curious what experienced mead brewers are using.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:27:31 pm by Aggelos »

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 01:23:47 pm »
D-47 is a good yeast. I prefer Narbonne 71b-1122 just because I have had pretty good results. It seems to be a bit more forgiving for slightly warmer ferments as well - and works well for both standards and melomels. D-47 really needs to ferment in the high 50's F to get a quick turn around IMO.

Curious to see what Pete or Dflic or others prefer here. Also - check out GotMead forum... many commercial mazers there with a real depth of experience.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot

Offline Aggelos

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 01:37:09 pm »
Well the upside is I brew in my underground basement and the temp is a consistent 56 degrees all year around so that might be why my most recent batch turned out so well.

I will definitely check out that forum as I am enjoying my time doing this immensely. I have only been doing gallon batches to start off so that way if I mess it up or turned out badly that I don't feel such a waste.

Although, I will be moving to 5 gallons after this most recent traditional I did since I love the taste so far at 2 months in tho doing 1 gallon each month allowed me to try different recipes and then wait the 6 month raking period and only have to wait a month between recipes.