Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pils Whirlpool at 80C and 100C  (Read 2865 times)

Offline neddles

• Brewer
Re: Pils Whirlpool at 80C and 100C
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 08:02:16 pm »
Of course, all of this assumes that you are using a crapload of hops (I use 4oz per gallon of final kettle volume). If you're not getting enough hop character, and you're not really pushing the amount of hops, then that's the first thing to address.
Similar process here but let me make sure I'm getting this right… your hops in my kettle at 4oz per gallon post boil would be 24oz. or 1.5# of hops in a 6 gallon whirlpool. Am I reading that right?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Pils Whirlpool at 80C and 100C
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 08:15:51 pm »
Of course, all of this assumes that you are using a crapload of hops (I use 4oz per gallon of final kettle volume). If you're not getting enough hop character, and you're not really pushing the amount of hops, then that's the first thing to address.
Similar process here but let me make sure I'm getting this right… your hops in my kettle at 4oz per gallon post boil would be 24oz. or 1.5# of hops in a 6 gallon whirlpool. Am I reading that right?
I brew half-sized batches. At the end of the boil I'm at about 3.25 gallons and use 13 ounces of hops. Yes, you are reading that right. And yes, this is insane. I never claimed sanity  :P

Keep in mind that this makes an extreme beer that tastes closer to grapefruit juice than a typical beer. Good thing I like grapefruit juice.  ;D
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer