Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Chamber, won't stop running  (Read 2744 times)

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
Fermentation Chamber, won't stop running
« on: October 05, 2015, 08:06:03 pm »
I have a Johnson Controller with the metal probe and dial (not digital), set up on my fermentation chamber/freezer.  My problem is; the freezer will not stop running.  It has been going for almost 24 hours now...  I know the probe is responsive, because if I turn the dial up one degree the fridge cuts off.  Eventually, once it has warmed up that one degree, the freezer will kick back on and run forever! I've played this game since 50 degrees, and now I'm in the mid 60's.  The freezer will only turn off if I move the dial up in temperature, it has never cut itself off.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fermentation Chamber, won't stop running
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:20:15 pm »
Only thing I can think of is to check your jumpers. You may have JUMP1 set for heating.

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:30:47 pm »
Only thing I can think of is to check your jumpers. You may have JUMP1 set for heating.
I have no idea what that means.. I just plugged the controller into my outlet, then my freezer into that, and placed the probe inside... Thats about as much as i inow. Ive had it for a few years, never a problem until now.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 08:36:45 pm »
Then it shouldn't be a jumper issue.

Does the freezer cool past the set point or is it stuck 1 degree above?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 08:40:20 pm »
The chance of failure on the mechanical switch isn't unheard of. I would stop using it and get a replacement before you kill the freezer.

You could try to open it up to see what's going on, but the relay on the inside is riveted shut.

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 08:41:25 pm »
Then it shouldn't be a jumper issue.

Does the freezer cool past the set point or is it stuck 1 degree above?

My guess is no, but i havent taken an exact measurement.. I feel that it is "holding" it at my set temp. Not much cooler, not much warmer... Just lingering.

Offline tommymorris

Fermentation Chamber, won't stop running
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 08:42:06 pm »
Then I think your compressor is bad.

Edit: if your freezer stayed on 24 hours the beer should have frozen and there should have been frost on the inside walls.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:44:20 pm by alestateyall »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 08:45:22 pm »

The chance of failure on the mechanical switch isn't unheard of. I would stop using it and get a replacement before you kill the freezer.

You could try to open it up to see what's going on, but the relay on the inside is riveted shut.

I was assuming a Johnson  Controls A419. But, now I see that was an assumption.

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 08:46:34 pm »
Could you explain for the simple minded? You think if i disconnected thw controller it would keep running, too?

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 08:51:32 pm »

Hmm, maybe the power of you tube could walk me through it, otherwise id be willing to try another one..

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 08:51:38 pm »

Could you explain for the simple minded? You think if i disconnected thw controller it would keep running, too?
You said in your first post the freezer ran for 24 hours. In that case, it should have gotten very cold. There would be no doubt the freezer was working (or not) if it ran continuously for 24 hours. Everything should be frozen inside if it is working.

I don't understand your question. If you disconnect the controller and plug the freezer in directly it will run until its internal thermostat is satisfied the inside is thoroughly frozen.

It sounds like the controller works because it turns off the freezer when provided a set point above the current temp of the probe.

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 09:01:54 pm »

You said in your first post the freezer ran for 24 hours. In that case, it should have gotten very cold. There would be no doubt the freezer was working (or not) if it ran continuously for 24 hours. Everything should be frozen inside if it is working.

I don't understand your question. If you disconnect the controller and plug the freezer in directly it will run until its internal thermostat is satisfied the inside is thoroughly frozen.

It sounds like the controller works because it turns off the freezer when provided a set point above the current temp of the probe.
Sorry, i dont think i explained it well. For example, i have the controller hooked up and probe in the freezer. Controller is set at a temperature of 62 degrees. It ran 24 hours. I set to 64 and it stopped immediately. Then an hour later (or so), it kicked back on and ran for another 24 hours. Sorry long day, but does that make sense? This has happened many times..

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 09:07:07 pm »
"It ran for 24 hours"

By "it" do you mean freezer? If so, then everything in the freezer should be frozen after running for 24 hours.

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 09:14:10 pm »
Ya the freezer is running but its going through the controller. So the temperature should reach 62 inside the freezer and cut off. However it just keeps running. Correct, if the freezer was plugged straight into the wall, bypassing my controller, everything should be frozen, but thats not what Im doing. Sorry, im not too sure how i explained this so funky. Im sure i used inappropriate terminology.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 09:16:17 pm »
"It ran for 24 hours"

By "it" do you mean freezer? If so, then everything in the freezer should be frozen after running for 24 hours.
^This^

A temp controller like this doesn't change the temperature the freezer runs at.  It just cuts off power to the freezer when it gets to the desired temperature on the controller.  So, if the freezer ran for 24 hours, it should have cooled to its pre-set temperature (i.e. freezing) and subsequently frozen anything in it.