Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 5.1pH?  (Read 4986 times)

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
5.1pH?
« on: October 06, 2015, 11:42:04 am »
Brew Day!  Always a good day-  mashed in added my salts and lactic acid- doughed in and stirred for ~5 min. Took a sample and set on the kitchen counter. Went back out side and got side tracked. Went in, calibrated pH meter and took pH reading around 30min mark into 60 min mash. PH was 5.15 at room temp 74.(my meter also has temp adjustment). My target was between 5.2/5.3.  This is a west coast style IPA so im bot super worried just curious what i can expect.

Thoughts?

Thnx

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline neddles

• Brewer
Re: 5.1pH?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 11:47:33 am »
Myself I would probably do nothing. If you were that worried about it toss in what ever amount of baking soda brunwater recommends for a 0.5-1.0 higher pH.

evil_morty

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 11:57:24 am »
In my opinion that is a great pH for a hoppy beer.  I shoot for low pH on beers like this.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 12:02:22 pm »
5.15 rounds to 5.2.  Bru'n Water rounds the same way.  If you find that Bru'n Water systematically overestimates the pH then you may want to take that into account, but for now I wouldn't change anything.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 12:04:27 pm »
5.15 rounds to 5.2.  Bru'n Water rounds the same way.  If you find that Bru'n Water systematically overestimates the pH then you may want to take that into account, but for now I wouldn't change anything.

my version doesn't round...if 5.15 thats what it projects.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 12:08:00 pm »
In my opinion that is a great pH for a hoppy beer.  I shoot for low pH on beers like this.

Right on brother

FWH - warrior are in and smelling great!  Wort is super clean. Lovin' life!
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 12:08:22 pm »
Thanks gents

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 12:16:21 pm »
Threadin the needle...

narvin

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 02:36:45 pm »
One thing to remember is that auto temp correction in a pH meter only adjusts for the electrical response of the probe at a temperature other than what it is calibrated for (20C usually).  There is another, bigger difference which is that the mash pH actually changes; as temperature goes up, more hydrogen ions dissociate and the pH decreases.

The reference temperature of 5.2 is usually quoted at mash temperature, and would be closer to 5.5 at room temp.  The range for conversion is pretty big, so I wouldn't sweat it.  Your pH is lower than I go for an IPA, but I've never tried it.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 03:58:58 pm »
My understanding and practice is optimal mash ph at room temp is 5.3-5.6 ( 5.2 ok and sometimes desirable for certain beers ). 

Good article by Kai for reference.  http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2011/03/02/about-ph-targets-and-temperature/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

evil_morty

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 05:26:20 pm »
One thing to remember is that auto temp correction in a pH meter only adjusts for the electrical response of the probe at a temperature other than what it is calibrated for (20C usually).  There is another, bigger difference which is that the mash pH actually changes; as temperature goes up, more hydrogen ions dissociate and the pH decreases.

The reference temperature of 5.2 is usually quoted at mash temperature, and would be closer to 5.5 at room temp.  The range for conversion is pretty big, so I wouldn't sweat it.  Your pH is lower than I go for an IPA, but I've never tried it.

I've found I like the lower pH better in many instances.  it makes the beer seem brighter and makes it "pop" more.  at least to me anyway.

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 06:52:15 pm »

I've found I like the lower pH better in many instances.  it makes the beer seem brighter and makes it "pop" more.  at least to me anyway.

Right on

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 09:16:10 am »
My understanding and practice is optimal mash ph at room temp is 5.3-5.6 ( 5.2 ok and sometimes desirable for certain beers ). 

Good article by Kai for reference.  http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2011/03/02/about-ph-targets-and-temperature/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP- my target was 5.2/5.3

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 08:25:25 am »

SMELLING AMAZING!!!  Dryhopped with 1oz Mosaic, Citra, Galaxy AND 1oz of Summer (found some in the freezer!)

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 08:26:12 am »