Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: extract imperial pilsner  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
extract imperial pilsner
« on: April 15, 2017, 09:31:35 am »
I got a bumper crop of sterlings out of my backyard last year and am wanting to use up a bunch in a strong pils. The plan is to hit around 1.090 with 6 lbs. of Briess pilsen dme in three gallons and hop the beejeezus out of it with my home grown sterlings. After lagering a long time a dry hop and into the bottle.
Last year I brewed an 1800s replica IPA that I hopped close to 200 IBUs and put it into the cellar for 9 months. The initial intense bitterness mellowed and left a nicely hopped beer. I dry hopped it for a week and bottled it. It ended up really nice so I thought I'd give the same procedure a go and use up some of my large supply of sterlings.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: extract imperial pilsner
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 10:53:54 am »
Sounds neat.  I would be afraid of anything over 110IBUs but I am a bitterness pansy

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 11:12:36 am »
Steve, have you considered replacing part of the extract with sugar for more fermentability?  A drier beer would also make the hops stand out more.  Maybe even use a touch of gypsum.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 09:42:27 am »
Steve, have you considered replacing part of the extract with sugar for more fermentability?  A drier beer would also make the hops stand out more.  Maybe even use a touch of gypsum.

The last time that I used Briess pilsen dme in a pilsner (see Zymurgy Last Drop: Mar/Apr 2016)I got a F G of 1.008, but I do plan to use some sugar. I figure that I'll need to shoot for 3 1/2 gallons to start with to end up with three gallons after accounting for wort loss due to the large amount of hops involved.

3 lbs. Briess pilsen dme
3 lbs. Briess Pilsen dme @ end of boil
1 lb.   sugar @ end of boil
2 ozs. sterlings for 30 minutes
2 ozs. sterlings for 21 minutes
pinch  irish moss for 15 minutes
1/4 tsp. nutrient for 10 minutes
2 ozs. sterlings for 9 minutes
1 oz.  sterlings to steep
1 oz.  saaz to dry hop (maybe more)
2 packs S-34/70
primary: three weeks @ 52f
lager: until extreme hoppiness has mellowed
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 10:54:21 am »
The last time that I used Briess pilsen dme in a pilsner (see Zymurgy Last Drop: Mar/Apr 2016)I got a F G of 1.008

Yeah, Briess Pils DME is pretty fermentable, ~ 80% fermentable IIRC. I agree a little sugar in the imperial version would be a good idea. Sounds great!
Jon H.