Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Books?  (Read 5784 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Books?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 06:19:55 pm »
IMO, you should have it, just like you should have JP's "How to Brew."

I love you, man! (and you can have all my Bud Light) :)

Let's not get all squishy now...  ::)  :D

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 11:05:43 am »
Nice book Drew!  I haven't had a chance to read a lot of it yet but perusing through it looks and reads nicely, a refreshing change even.  In fact some people currently asking Q's could benefit from this book. 

How timely for the "Black Perle".  ARRrrrrr!    ;D  ;)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 11:14:18 am »
Dean, check out the Nick Danger porter recipe!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Best Book for American Styles
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 11:27:57 am »
What is the Best Book for doing American ale styles?  The books I have are either dated or directed to English styles.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 11:38:32 am »
Nice book Drew!

Thanks Dean! Glad the book made it to you intact and that content seems to have gotten better in the shipping! :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Re: Best Book for American Styles
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 11:42:24 am »
What is the Best Book for doing American ale styles?  The books I have are either dated or directed to English styles.

Kinda hard to say?  Do you want just a recipe book?  What have you already got?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 02:23:33 pm »

I don't know of any one book that emphasizes strictly American styles, but Drew's book has more than most and some are compilations of well known brews.  One in particular that I like and it can be difficult to find at times is a clone(?) recipe for Old Rasputin.

Seriously, Drew you did a Great Job!  I'm tearing through it between mowing the yard and readying for tomorrows brew session.  IMO... this book should be read as a primer to JP's book.  The way you wrote it, a lot of the mystery involved with water chemistry is removed so anyone can understand it more thoroughly... short and sweet... to the point.  I can read it without my eye's glassing over or becoming lethargic and thats always Good.  There are ingredients mentioned in this book that you will only read in wine making books, yet they can be used in brewing beer... good to know also. 

I'm glad I bought it, wish you had written it sooner so that I would have bought it first.  Two Thumbs Up!   :)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 07:30:34 am »

I have the two JP books (one co-written with Jamil Z) and Designing Great Beers.  Among the dated books I have are two Papazian ones and a Miller one.  I would be happy to have something with an in depthof the various American ale styles with some recipes.  I focused more on British styles in the past, but since I have a Cascade hops growing in the backyard I thought I should do some American ones.  I think I would also like to use some green hops.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 08:26:02 am »
 One in particular that I like and it can be difficult to find at times is a clone(?) recipe for Old Rasputin.

Beer Captured (a recipe book) has this recipe. Comes out fantastic! I've had excellent results using recipes from that book. I also will be trying Bill Pierce's( of HBD fame) clone of Old Rasputin. Sounds tasty just reading it! Happy brewing...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 09:05:02 am »
Bill's Rootin' Tootin' Rasputin makes a killer beer that is very close to OR.  I brewed it for my 100th batch.  Now I'm trying to decide what to do for #400.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 09:20:36 am »
Bill's Rootin' Tootin' Rasputin makes a killer beer that is very close to OR.  I brewed it for my 100th batch.  Now I'm trying to decide what to do for #400.
I think a Hefeweizen is in order.  8)

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 09:24:52 am »

With Apricot

(or as my daughter says AppleCart)
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 09:42:53 am »
REAL funny, guys!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 02:26:04 pm »

I had to laugh at that one. I just remembered Denny's not a wheat beer kinda guy.
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 04:17:02 pm »
Why isn't Drew's book the AHA membership "prize"? Next year maybe?
The moral majority, is neither.