Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: carbonation for 9% ABV beer in bottles  (Read 6299 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Re: carbonation for 9% ABV beer in bottles
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 07:42:02 pm »
With respect to a small amount of yeast, for a half-batch (2.75 gal), would that be say, 1/8 of a packet of dry yeast?

Sierra Nevada re-yeasts at 1 million cells/mL, supposedly. For a 2.75 gal batch, that would be about 0.5 g, or 1/20 of a 10.5 g packet.

Thanks! My little blade scale can help dial that in. I was thinking of making a small RyePA, so if everything aligns I could use the 19/20 of the yeast in that the same weekend. (Though for all the effort involved in brewing, even tossing the rest of an open packet is worth it, if the beer comes out the way I want it to.)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 01:53:36 pm »
I recently used EC-1118 (dry sparkling wine yeast) in the bottling bucket for a moderate gravity saison that I had cold crashed. Just waited for the priming sugar solution to drop to ~90 F, added a tiny amount of the dry yeast, stirred for a while and dumped the whole thing in with the beer in the bottling bucket. It worked out great. I had almost full carbonation (~2.8 volumes based on sugar added) in 10 days with the bottles sitting at 70-73 F.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 08:17:13 am »
The carbonation has definitely improved but is a bit light for my tastes however I wouldn't call it undercarbonated. It's good to have experience with this now so I know that I don't really need to change my normal bottling procedure for a beer of this alcohol level. Next time, I will shoot for a higher volume of CO2. I think I was at 2.4 here. Although boozy, the beer itself is delicious.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale