Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 1450 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Windows 10
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:15:46 pm »
Anyone else upgrade yet? I just upgraded my PC from Win 7 to Win 10 today. The new Start Menu will take a little getting used to, but we have Win 8.1 on our Surface so I'm a little familiar with it. I loved Windows 7, but I wanted to try out 10 for a bit before upgrading the Surface so I can walk my wife through it.

So far, my PC does seem a bit more responsive. My PC is getting a bit old (Core i7 860, 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM), and my Win 7 install was starting to get a bit sluggish. I've heard that Win 10 was lighter on the resources and my experience so far seems to match that.

Anyone have any pros or cons based on their own upgrade experience?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:56:40 am »
I've only done one so far (Laptop) but it seems to be running fine.  I need to test our CADD software and some of the old stuff before making a commitment for the rest of the company.  My biggest fear is drivers for our plotters and old printers.

I have a home PC that isn't used that much anymore that I'm going to test before upgrading the systems for my wife and son.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 07:53:29 am »
Not exactly an upgrade, but I just got windows 10 running on a new homebuilt PC. This computer was a result of me converting back to Windows from Mac, and I'll gladly take Windows 10 over the crap Apple is making OSX into.

Still haven't got the new PC fully up to speed, but I'm not really expecting any driver issues, but then what equipment I interface with is pretty run of the mill.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 08:00:19 am »
I never had Windows 8/8.1, just skipped from Windows 7 to 10 when we bought a new laptop. It's alright. Just getting used to it. This touchscreen thing is screwing with me though. I have Win7 at work, and I'd be lying if I said I haven't touched the toolbar on the non-touch-screen to bring up a program.  ;D
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 08:55:13 am »
I never had Windows 8/8.1, just skipped from Windows 7 to 10 when we bought a new laptop. It's alright. Just getting used to it. This touchscreen thing is screwing with me though. I have Win7 at work, and I'd be lying if I said I haven't touched the toolbar on the non-touch-screen to bring up a program.  ;D
I'm sure I'll be doing that on my home PC once my Surface is on Win 10 and I get used to that interface.  ;D
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 09:18:00 am »
My old laptop running 8 died a couple months ago and I replaced it with one running 8 and a touchscreen. I went ahead and upgraded. It runs quicker than 8 but it's sometimes clunky with a non-tablet interface. Many of the scrollbars are hidden and trying to click on them can be difficult. It has some problems with basic drivers, especially audio drivers.

Like most MS products it was released too soon and we're left waiting for basic functions to be fixed.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 11:18:20 am »
Like most MS products it was released too soon and we're left waiting for basic functions to be fixed.

same with CAD software.  I never install the newest version until SP1 comes out.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 12:42:20 pm »
I have Windows 10 at work.  I use in in Windows 7 mode although the apps all have a 10 look.  It seems to be faster than Windows past and so far not buggy.  I'm OK with it.  SolidWorks runs on it OK so I'm good to go.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 06:15:07 pm »
As noted earlier, I'm waiting for SP1 to come out for Win 10 before I upgrade my notebook from Win 7 Pro.
Let someone else be the early adopter.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 11:01:17 pm »
We upgraded within the first week or so. I've been happy with it and like it better than 8.1. Had a few bugs on my wife's laptop the first few days, but once I figured those out, it's been great. Frankly I expected more bugs than I saw because I upgraded so early on.

Glad 8/8.1 is dead.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 05:05:10 am »
We have it on 4 laptops at home.  The extent of my assessment has been "it works".  I expected more problems and unlike others have said, the 2 machines I use seems a bit slower than the version 7 they had before.  So far I haven't run into anything software that doesn't run.

I wish MS would stop moving all the configuration tools around.  They used to all be in one place.  Now they are spread out 2 or 3 places.  And why somethings work one way and a completely different way is a mystery to me.

Overall, it seems to be a good OS so far.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 07:47:25 am »
I'm still using a W7 desktop and W7 laptop for work (I work at home) and the thought of upgrading to W10 is mildly frightening because of all of the nonsense that may occur.  In the past, encryption, RDP and VPN processes were completely futzed up causing me issues connecting to my customers.  If my home machine was strictly for "home" stuff, I wouldn't be as concerned.  But I have everyone in the house wirelessly doing things...my wife often works from home as well and the kids are using the network for homework, printing things, etc. and I don't want to disturb the apple cart at the moment.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.