Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AHA Rally Wort; Which Yeast?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
AHA Rally Wort; Which Yeast?
« on: October 07, 2015, 01:29:39 pm »
I received this info from AHA today.  Heretic is providing wort for a rally this weekend:

OG: 1.057 (14 P)
FG: (depending on yeast strain used): 1.010 – 1.012 (~3 P)
ABV: ~6.1%

Base malt: 79.8%
Simpsons Double Roasted Crystal: 5.5%
Crisp C45: 5.5%
Munich: 8.2%
Roasted Barley: 1.0%

60m hop: Columbus
Whirlpool hop: Jarrylo

I'm sure White Labs 001 would work for this, but I was thinking about a British Strain...Maybe WLP007 Dry English Ale?  Thoughts?

S. cerevisiae

Re: AHA Rally Wort; Which Yeast?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:40:28 pm »
If you want to step outside of you comfort zone, I would use WLP039 East Midlands Ale Yeast (the current seasonal) with open fermentation.   If you ferment in a bucket, all you need to do is to leave the lid on loosely until the krausen forms (you can plug the airlock hole with an airlock with no solution).  You should remove the lid after that point and keep it off until you other skim the final head or it starts to fall.   Skimming and discarding the first head  that forms (the brown head) with a sanitized spoon will prevent that head from falling back into the beer.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 06:31:24 pm »
If you want to step outside of you comfort zone, I would use WLP039 East Midlands Ale Yeast (the current seasonal) with open fermentation.   If you ferment in a bucket, all you need to do is to leave the lid on loosely until the krausen forms (you can plug the airlock hole with an airlock with no solution).  You should remove the lid after that point and keep it off until you other skim the final head or it starts to fall.   Skimming and discarding the first head  that forms (the brown head) with a sanitized spoon will prevent that head from falling back into the beer.
The Germans call that the Braunhefe, and it has harsh bittering qualities. I just completed an online German course, so I was compelled to use some German.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 06:50:50 pm »
The difference from skimming the brown head is noticeable.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 07:24:25 pm »
The difference from skimming the brown head is noticeable.

For this strain in particular or in general?  I'm interested in anything that reduces harshness.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:18:21 pm »
For this strain in particular or in general?  I'm interested in anything that reduces harshness.

No, it works with any true top-cropping strain.  It will even work for non-true top-cropping strains, as long as they at least produce a foam head.  Taste the brown scum that sticks to the side of the fermentation vessel next time you rack from a closed fermentation in bucket.  It's really harsh and bitter.  That scum is from the outside edge of the brown head.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 10:29:16 pm »
I've been debating the same thing. I think I'm going to use the Vermont Ale strain.  I briefly debated a belgian strain, but decided to go with this yeast. I've had good luck with it in the past in an amber ale, and just can't mentally picture the flavor with the belgian yeast.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 09:10:22 am »
I've been debating the same thing. I think I'm going to use the Vermont Ale strain.  I briefly debated a belgian strain, but decided to go with this yeast. I've had good luck with it in the past in an amber ale, and just can't mentally picture the flavor with the belgian yeast.

I hadn't thought about that one.  It might be interesting.  Thanks!

I was considering a Belgian yeast as well, but it just didn't sound right.  I don't think this wort would be enhanced with phenols.  Esters, probably.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 09:14:15 am by Biran »

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 02:12:07 pm »
I pulled the trigger and went with WLP500. I'm hoping it will pass as a dubbel.

I added 1.25lbs of table sugar to bring the OG up to ~1.067. Wish I would have had some candi sugar laying around for a little more complexity. This was a last minute decision after I picked up the WLP500 and didn't have time to plan ahead and get other ingredients. I still think it will be decent. The sugar Should bring me up to the low-mid 7% abv range. The Jarrylo Hops and Simpson's double roast crystal malt, are both described as good for Belgian styles.

I started fermentation at 66 and am slowly ramping it up to 76 over a period of 4 days.

I am curious what IBU this is at and how much Jarrylo was used for whirlpool.

It seems like Heretic tried to create a wort that could work in multiple styles with very small post boil changes.
Joel Prater

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 10:56:18 am »
I ended up changing my temp profile a bit. The beer didn't take off until the 3rd day. On the second day I stalled the beer at 68, left it at 68 for day, then started ramping up to 72 over the next 3 days.

I took a sample of the beer last night, and the WLP500 yeast has some serious banana flavor and aroma.  Really happy with it. I'm curious to see how the flavor will change as the yeast finishes up. It was at 1.022 last night so still have another 10 points or so to go. I happily drank all of the sample I pulled, despite it being under attenuated, warm, and un-carbonated.

Getting excited about the finished beer on this one.
Joel Prater

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 11:44:29 pm »
I ended up taking first in the Belgian category for the rally competition. First competition I've ever entered.

Even without the win I'm very pleased with how this one turned out. The WLP500 yeast gave off some great spicy banana flavor. After my early tasting noted below, the banana flavor mellowed a little and the beer picked up some great clove flavors to go with it. The beer finished at 1.010.

I'm curious how many others entered the comp. I know they had 50 vials of the Belgian/French yeast strains to give away, and at least 4 people (including myself) had to have entered that category. My buddy also entered and didn't win 2nd or 3rd. His beer came out very clean, however there was very little of the spicy character you might associate with a Belgian beer. Although, that was expected due to his choice of the Wit strain.
Joel Prater

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 05:35:14 am »
Congrats on the first place. Does that win include a brew day to recreate you version at Heretic? That would be a very fun day.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 07:31:33 am »
 No. I believe I'll get a book and few other small items.
Joel Prater