Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First time using Gelatin  (Read 3146 times)

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
Re: First time using Gelatin
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 12:11:33 am »
Some brewers have expressed concern that a gel solution will actually strip a beer of late hop additions.  If you dry hop a pale ale and then gel it... does it remove or lower the level on your late/dry hops?  I'm not enough of a hophead to know the answer to this.  If I make a dry hopped beer, I gel the beer in secondary and get it clear.  Then I dry hop it for 5-7 days, rack it to a keg and then just let the beer go... no more gel additions.  Those beers are typically hazy for awhile and then they slightly clear.  For those looking for that uber-fresh, late hop character... I would stay away from the gel after you dry hop.  Just my 2¢.  Cheers.

I haven't personally noticed much difference with my dry-hopped beers. Not that I've tried them side by side. For me, if I can't personally tell the difference without a side by side tasting, then I'm not too worried about it.

I start my cold crash in the morning or night before. Set to ~33 degrees
Once at temp I mix a half teaspoon of gelatin in 1/4 cup of water and immediately heat in the microwave in short bursts until it's between 145 and 150. I use my thermometer to stir the mixture in between bursts to ensure all the gelatin is dissolved.
I then just dump straight into my fermenter and rack to the keg about 2 days later.

So far my brews have all been crystal clear when using this method. If I'm very careful when racking (love my speidel fermenter for this) the beer pours clear from the first glass to the last.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 08:38:25 am »
Some brewers have expressed concern that a gel solution will actually strip a beer of late hop additions.  If you dry hop a pale ale and then gel it... does it remove or lower the level on your late/dry hops?  I'm not enough of a hophead to know the answer to this.  If I make a dry hopped beer, I gel the beer in secondary and get it clear.  Then I dry hop it for 5-7 days, rack it to a keg and then just let the beer go... no more gel additions.  Those beers are typically hazy for awhile and then they slightly clear.  For those looking for that uber-fresh, late hop character... I would stay away from the gel after you dry hop.  Just my 2¢.  Cheers.
I haven't personally noticed much difference with my dry-hopped beers. Not that I've tried them side by side. For me, if I can't personally tell the difference without a side by side tasting, then I'm not too worried about it.

I start my cold crash in the morning or night before. Set to ~33 degrees
Once at temp I mix a half teaspoon of gelatin in 1/4 cup of water and immediately heat in the microwave in short bursts until it's between 145 and 150. I use my thermometer to stir the mixture in between bursts to ensure all the gelatin is dissolved.
I then just dump straight into my fermenter and rack to the keg about 2 days later.

So far my brews have all been crystal clear when using this method. If I'm very careful when racking (love my speidel fermenter for this) the beer pours clear from the first glass to the last.

Good to know that late-hopped beers may not suffer.  I agree that if you can't tell, you're probably good.  I like my occasional hoppy beers but I'm not really into IIPAs, etc.  I am a certified clear-beer freak so that is ALWAYS a priority to me.  But if I wanted a beer with a nice, late-hop punch, I would accept some haze.  Maybe I'll try to gel one of my upcoming dry-hopped beers when it's cold in the keg and see how it compares to past batches.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 11:01:43 am »
Just for the hell of it I added some yesterday to a very heavily dry hopped saison with 20% oats. It will be interesting if it can get through that haze.

Gelatin wouldn't be expected to be very effective against protein or polyphenol haze. Just a heads-up in case you don't get what you're looking for (ha!).

You would be correct... 2 days and 2 pints later the beer is still super hazy haha. No worries, I don't really mind haze in a saison anyway, just curious what would happen.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 04:41:16 pm »
I gelled this blonde ale in the secondary and then again after it was in the keg and cold (but before carbing).  It looks filtered...

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 04:51:36 pm »
I gelled this blonde ale in the secondary and then again after it was in the keg and cold (but before carbing).  It looks filtered...

Looks nice! Pretty much identical to the cream ale I gelled over the summer.
Jon H.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 10:06:25 pm »
Good to know that late-hopped beers may not suffer.  I agree that if you can't tell, you're probably good.  I like my occasional hoppy beers but I'm not really into IIPAs, etc.  I am a certified clear-beer freak so that is ALWAYS a priority to me.  But if I wanted a beer with a nice, late-hop punch, I would accept some haze.  Maybe I'll try to gel one of my upcoming dry-hopped beers when it's cold in the keg and see how it compares to past batches.  Cheers.

FWIW, Marshall did an exbeeriment focused specifically on the impacts to beer from gelatin fining. Most couldn't notice the difference, and a few noticed a very slight difference in hop aroma. That's only one data point (2 if you want to count my experience with gelatin) on this subject. Your mileage may vary. I'd recommend checking that post out. Looking back at that post, that must be where I picked up my gelatin fining process as it seems to mirror the process used in that exbeeriment.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline Biran

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 10:33:58 am »

I fine my IPAs with gelatin and haven't noticed a difference.  I get plenty of dry hop aroma...and they are crystal clear  :)