Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lagunitas Pils  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Lagunitas Pils
« on: October 09, 2015, 08:14:11 am »
Had this first time out in Chicago a week ago. I thought it was a pretty nice beer-clean crisp and definitely refreshing. I was easily drinking one and wanting/ordering another.

reviews seem to be kinda harsh for this beer.   I don't see it in my stores , wondering if its widely distributed.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Iliff Ave

Re: Lagunitas Pils
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 08:20:42 am »
I really enjoy most of Lagunitas offerings although most of them are on the hoppy side of the spectrum. I bought a bomber of the imperial pils recently and thought it was pretty good.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:24:27 am »
I really enjoy most of Lagunitas offerings although most of them are on the hoppy side of the spectrum. I bought a bomber of the imperial pils recently and thought it was pretty good.

this Czech pils is 35IBU, so just right I thought.

edit: it is 6% though, so easy does it!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:26:02 am by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 08:31:08 am »

Totally. I just meant that a lot of their beers have that hoppy west coast influence. Out of their regulars the pils is one of the only exceptions. I am a big fan of Little Sumpin' which is basically a wheat IPA...

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 08:33:11 am »

Totally. I just meant that a lot of their beers have that hoppy west coast influence. Out of their regulars the pils is one of the only exceptions. I am a big fan of Little Sumpin' which is basically a wheat IPA...

wil have to try that one.

another note: they list it at 6% with 1.050 OG...that means 1.004FG! 
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 08:38:16 am »
ken - I question a lot of the stats on their labels - most of them don't seem to make sense, at least to me.  I feel like they (Tony Magee) is poking fun at the consumer.  IIRC, the IPA label says they use 4 dozen varieties of hops etc.

not a big fan of theirs, frankly.  Little Sumpin is the only good beer available at a beach bar here that i go to so i have that sometimes.  Pils i think i liked at one point - maybe will have to come back around on that one.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 08:44:34 am »
Funny. I am looking at Hop Stoopid on their website. It shows an OG of 1.070. Right next to the stats there is a picture of the bottle which says 1.085 right on the label...

I could see how they are hit and miss for a lot of people.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 08:45:26 am »
ken - I question a lot of the stats on their labels - most of them don't seem to make sense, at least to me.  I feel like they (Tony Magee) is poking fun at the consumer.  IIRC, the IPA label says they use 4 dozen varieties of hops etc.

not a big fan of theirs, frankly.  Little Sumpin is the only good beer available at a beach bar here that i go to so i have that sometimes.  Pils i think i liked at one point - maybe will have to come back around on that one.

I see Paul.

I also see they have an Imperial Pils at 8.6% in Bombers. I'd like to find a bottle of that one.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 10:10:20 am »
I'll pass on most of their stuff.  But the Pils was just about the best thing they had on tap at the AHA rally last weekend.

I was hoping for something more than just their standards on tap, but whatever.

Given other options, I generally skip Lagunitas.  But I've yet to have any of their barrel aged beers or their stouts.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 12:11:06 pm »

62.08 IBU's!!!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 12:28:09 pm »
I'm not a huge Lagunitas fan but I found their Pils to be pretty solid. I'd buy it again, probably over any of their other offerings.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

Lagunitas Pils
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 02:31:51 pm »
I used to not like the IPA at all. Now I find that it's fairly balanced compared to many of the newer beers and can drink it by the 12 pack. Pils is solid as is the Imperial Stout, but nothing beats brown shugga for me. The wife loves Cappuccino stout and I try to grab her a case every year.

I was in a wedding with self pour beer Lagunitas IPA. Beer was pouring hours before the ceremony. The grooms side got pretty hammered by the time the ceremony started. The readings were basically unintelligible and there was a good amount of joking around. We blame the groom for having us arrive so early and the venue for not seeing us coming and pulling the kegs.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:33:25 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 02:39:52 pm »
I used to not like the IPA at all. Now I find that it's fairly balanced compared to many of the newer beers and can drink it by the 12 pack. Pils is solid as is the Imperial Stout, but nothing beats brown shugga for me. The wife loves Cappuccino stout and I try to grab her a case every year.

I was in a wedding with self pour beer Lagunitas IPA. Beer was pouring hours before the ceremony. The grooms side got pretty hammered by the time the ceremony started. The readings were basically unintelligible and there was a good amount of joking around. We blame the groom for having us arrive so early and the venue for not seeing us coming and pulling the kegs.

I think the IPA is solid although I used to not care for it very much either. What kind of beer is brown shugga? I have heard good things about it but have yet to try it.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 03:13:23 pm »
*shrug* Double Brown IPA???

It's ~10% but drinks like it's 6%. I have a $2/pint Brown Shugga story as well. Bikes and pub crawls are fun, but not necessarily safe.

It was on the Jamil Show ages ago. At first they thought they didn't get it right, but had a brewer from Lagunitas try it and he felt it was dead on for a fresh sample.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 03:25:34 pm »

Now that is a pretty cool wedding. I agree that I came around to liking their IPA pretty well. I'd put Brown Shugga and Pils on the top of my list from them.
Jon H.