Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 67196 times)

Offline brewsumore

• Brewer
  • Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1860 on: April 11, 2017, 10:05:33 AM »
Brewed up some Best Bitter yesterday.  I seem to have an innate (ha!) inability to make wort that is over about 1.043.  I wanted to make my regular recipe a bit bigger this time, so I added 2 pounds of base malt to it (5gal batches) and ended up only getting a 4point bump in my OG.  I'm not exactly sure what went wrong, but I did find some dry spots in the mash afterward, even with stirring it after dough in.  I didn't check the mash temp since I usually know where it is going to land, but maybe something was up with that. 

Here is the recipe:
10lb Maris Otter
10oz Flaked Barley
10oz C40
3.5oz Victory
1oz Double Roast Crystal

0.5oz Nugget @60
0.5oz Nugget @5
1oz EKG @5

Wyeast 1968

Based on that malt bill, I was expecting about 1.050 so I don't know what is going on.  I thought all was good, as my refractometer said 1.048, but my hydrometer said 1.043.  The hydrometer reads 1.000 for water, and the refractometer reads 1.005, so I think the hydrometer is right.

The original recipe comes in at OG=1.039, so this will probably just end up like the normal version of it.

Stirring out dough balls at mash in is so important to hitting target OG.  I use a big doweled mash paddle that never misses and always feel kinda bad for guys with smaller mashtuns, like cylindrical coolers, that require a smaller, single-surface, spoon-like mash paddle.  Sounds like you're still in range for a bitter, taht I'm sure you'll enjoy!
Why are cylindrical coolers and spoons so bad? My stainless steel spoon works just as good as a 50 dollar mash paddle hand crafted from whatever kind of wood the make those things out of. And it works just fine in my Home Depot mash tun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You got me there.  What's worse, in my own personal experience anyway, is a big rectangular cooler and a spoon, with full volume, that can become a "seek and destroy" the dough balls vs just a good stir with a larger flow-thru style design mash paddle.  YMMV.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: April 11, 2017, 10:38:47 AM »
I don't know where to go with that, so I wont.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: April 16, 2017, 08:33:36 AM »
Today is Old Ironsides American IPA
5 gallons

10lb 2 row
4lb Munich light

1oz Citra 60min
1oz Cascade 5 min
1oz Citra 5 min
.5oz Cascade at flame out
.5oz Citra at flame out
.5oz Cascade dry hop
.5 Citra dry hop

Imperial Yeast A01 House

Mash at 52F for 75 min
Boil 75 min

OG 1.064
IBU 61.88

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1863 on: April 16, 2017, 08:36:20 AM »
Just finished up a batch of Marlberry Pils

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Online alestateyall

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Tommy M.
    • View Profile
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #1864 on: April 16, 2017, 01:16:10 PM »
Mashing a Kölsch right now. 100% Best Pils, 20.4 IBU Magnum @ 60, 1.3 IBU Crystal @ 5. WLP029.

Great day to brew. Sunny, 80F, drinking a British Golden with Galaxy. Delicious.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 01:18:34 PM by alestateyall »

Offline natebrews

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: April 22, 2017, 06:20:39 AM »
Brewing up another English bitter today.  Trying to cut down on some of the mineral content in the water to see if it takes off a mineraly edge that it seems to have had lately.  The presumption is that the sodium is too high and the (somewhat) high sulphate is giving it a harsh bite when combine with that much sodium. 

Also going to try using Pilgrim hops this time (along with EKG).
Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying.

Offline cheshirecat

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: April 22, 2017, 07:08:05 AM »
Brewing myself up an IPL. It has become one of my favorite recipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: April 22, 2017, 02:28:12 PM »
Kentucky Common tomorrow.

Online HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: April 22, 2017, 02:58:59 PM »
Bottled a Rustic (3726) saison finished with Lemon Drop hops today. Decided to get back to bottle conditioning all my Belgians and have the carb level fine tuned for the style, rather than compromising the carb level with the other beers on tap.  Got it down to 1.004 which is in the 1.004-1.002 FG window I like for saison, and the sample was stellar. Can't wait!
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: April 23, 2017, 12:07:25 PM »
Bottled a Rustic (3726) saison finished with Lemon Drop hops today. Decided to get back to bottle conditioning all my Belgians and have the carb level fine tuned for the style, rather than compromising the carb level with the other beers on tap.  Got it down to 1.004 which is in the 1.004-1.002 FG window I like for saison, and the sample was stellar. Can't wait!

Cool!  What fermentation profile did you go with on that one? 

How about your hopping schedule with those Lemon Drops?  I have yet to use those and am curious how strong they come across in the finish.

Online HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: April 23, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »

Cool!  What fermentation profile did you go with on that one? 

How about your hopping schedule with those Lemon Drops?  I have yet to use those and am curious how strong they come across in the finish.

Rob, I've been experimenting with temp profiles on Rustic/3726 and they've all come out good (and different) so far. For this one, I held 68F for around 2.5 days then ramped up to 74F after. I gave it 3 weeks all together, to eat the last point or two, especially since I went with bottle conditioing. The sample was earthy, peppery, with fruity esters too. Little to no fusels to age out. I love this profile so far, we'll see when it carbs up.

For the hop schedule, I actually bittered with 29.6 IBU Mittelfrueh for 60 (1.055 OG), and used 2 oz Lemon Drop in a 15 minute whirlpool/stand. The Lemon Drop aren't overly assertive like Simcoe or Citra - I see them more as an APA type hop, maybe the intensity of Cascade at most. I'm not a big fan of overly hoppy saisons and this one definitely isn't. It's a nice accent without making the beer seem 'hoppy'. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 01:01:42 PM by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: April 24, 2017, 11:45:34 AM »
Sounds great! 

Thanks for sharing, Jon!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: April 24, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »
brewed an APA

1.055/38 ibus

19# 2 Row
2# Munich
1.25# Carared
.5# Carafoam
.25 Victory

Magnum for bittering

1oz/12gal each Chinook/Centennial/Cascade at 10
2oz/12gal each again at whirlpool for 30 min

excited to make something a bit old school.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281