Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014  (Read 24567 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Assistant Brewer
  • NW Indiana
    • View Profile
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 01/18/2014
« Reply #780 on: February 12, 2016, 01:53:30 PM »
I dont know if it will be this weekend but next brew will be a Kolsch. I wanted to get to it this weekend but not lloking like it. Might be a brew session after work onTues.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend? 2/12/14
« Reply #781 on: February 12, 2016, 04:01:50 PM »
Hopefully, those batches I didn't brew last weekend.

Planning a maibock and a Belgian of some sort.  The plan is to use the same malt bill.  I may add some dark candi syrup to the Belgian and call it a dubbel.  We shall see.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Online HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 12, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »
Planning a maibock and a Belgian of some sort.  The plan is to use the same malt bill.  I may add some dark candi syrup to the Belgian and call it a dubbel.  We shall see.

I like that idea a lot. Kind of a no brainer. What strain do you like best for dubbel?  I like 1214 if done cool, and 1762 best. 3787 is obviously good always.
Jon H.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: Today at 08:08:47 AM »

I like that idea a lot. Kind of a no brainer. What strain do you like best for dubbel?  I like 1214 if done cool, and 1762 best. 3787 is obviously good always.

I've got a starter of 3787 going.  I typically use the Chimay strain, because my wife loves it.  I think I used the Rochefort strain for years before I switched to the Chimay strain.  I need to split a batch or two and do some side-by-sides.  I haven't used 1762 in years.

Offline brewinhard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: Today at 09:01:45 AM »
Boil underway for a Classic American Pilsner. Or uh, I guess its now a Pre-Prohibition Lager. Lots of late saaz and hefty dose of flaked maize in this one.  Boil smells great!

Offline klickitat jim

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: Today at 09:09:23 AM »
My brewing consisted of gravity checks on my Helles, Helleses, Hellai?

Online Wort-H.O.G.

• Ride Hard, Brew Hard, Drink Hard, Repeat....
    • View Profile
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #786 on: Today at 09:57:21 AM »
no brew for me this weekend (first break in about 5 weeks).  ran some mini mash test for PH, and kegged couple batches.

I got fresh vials of 833 and 830 and have two batches in process that I will harvest slurry and use for next 6 or so brews each.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

On Tap/bottled:  Ferm / Conditioning:
Alt                          German Pils
Krystallweizen          BoPils
Robust Porter           Chardonnay  
Apple Cherry Cider   Gewurtztraminer
Schwarzbier             O'Fest
Vienn'Darina IPA

Next:        
Cream Ale
Irish Stout

Offline beersk

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: Today at 10:01:15 AM »

I've got a starter of 3787 going.  I typically use the Chimay strain, because my wife loves it.  I think I used the Rochefort strain for years before I switched to the Chimay strain.  I need to split a batch or two and do some side-by-sides.  I haven't used 1762 in years.
Have you tried open fermenting and top cropping? I truly believe skimming the sh*t off the top makes a difference in the smoothness of the finished beer. It's so much fun. I don't do a true open ferment, just set the lid on top of the bucket or cover the bucket with cling wrap loosely. It's awesome to be able to hear the fermentation going.

I'm brewing my None More Black IPA this weekend and plan to "open" ferment and skim the braunhefe. Fermenting this one with 1318, which will be interesting in black IPA.
None More Black!

Jesse

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: Today at 10:26:47 AM »
I use BBs, so top cropping is not possible.

Some day, maybe Speidels.  But I have no need to change at the moment and other things to spend $$ on.

Offline dannyjed

• Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: Today at 11:40:18 AM »
I just dumped a hard cider that never came around. Kegged an IPA for NHC and will be making a German Pils tomorrow.
Dan Chisholm