Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 145996 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
  • Tommy M.
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2640 on: August 18, 2019, 09:27:26 PM »
95% Wheat/5% C40 American Ordinary Bitter in the fermenter. Mosaic and Crystal at FWH, 5, and flameout. OG 1038, IBUs 32.

I was going for an APA but efficiency was terrible: 52%. Changed the hop bill after taking preboil gravity reading.

I started this batch in the Picobrew but had to move it to the Grainfather. Picobrew Z1 turned out to have a leaking drain plug which had nothing to do with the crazy malt bill. The leaking drain plug cause the Z1 to have heating errors because it could circulate wort. The drain pump wasn’t getting suction and therefore didn’t work.

So, there was bit of a mess pouring the mash into the GF but I got at least 95% of it in there. The GF made easy work of the 95% wheat malt. The 0.5 pounds of rice hulls may have helped.

This beer is for a internal home brew club competition. I am kind of glad this is the one that had problems because I don’t really care much about it.

Online BrewBama

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2641 on: August 19, 2019, 01:44:17 AM »
How long did you mash?  If you mashed longer do you think you could have continued to gain SG points?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” — St. Arnold

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
  • Tommy M.
« Reply #2642 on: August 19, 2019, 03:03:34 AM »
How long did you mash?  If you mashed longer do you think you could have continued to gain SG points?

I mashed 60 minutes. I am not sure.  I crushed 3 times to try to make sure I had a good crush. I used Viking wheat malt which has min 250 WK which equates to 76 Linter. Maybe 76 is enough to convert but it needs more time or maybe I should have gotten some alpha amylase.

During the mash I thought I had broken my Picobrew so my focus was elsewhere.

Online BrewBama

• Brewmaster General
What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2643 on: August 19, 2019, 12:22:46 PM »

Definitely. I may not have even finished the brewday had I run into a roadblock like that. Good on ya.

FWIW I’ve noticed, given the setup of my equipment and my processes, that at 60 min in all barley malt (95% 2-row base) mash I am still gaining SG points. After 6 brewday data points the consensus is it takes 90 min in my brewery until I am no longer appreciably increasing. I’ve not looked at a wheat beer but thought with your very high wheat percentage you may still gain points as well.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:27:05 PM by BrewBama »
“From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world.” — St. Arnold

Brewed in the Tennessee Valley. Rocket City — Huntsville AL

Offline tommymorris

• Brewmaster General
  • Tommy M.
« Reply #2644 on: August 19, 2019, 12:30:34 PM »

Definitely. I may not have even finished the brewday had I run into a roadblock like that. Good on ya.

FWIW I’ve noticed, given the setup of my equipment and my processes, that at 60 min in all barley malt (95% 2-row base) mash I am still gaining SG points. After 6 brewday data points the consensus is it takes 90 min in my brewery until I am no longer appreciably increasing. I’ve not looked at a wheat beer but thought with your very high wheat percentage you may still gain points as well.

Interesting. I think you’re right. I have had problems with wheat extraction in the past. I have recently tightened my gap but I broke off a set screw and can’t get any tighter until I dig that out.

One tidbit: I used 10% by weight rice hulls. There was absolutely no problem with recirculation.  Even in the Picobrew I think it was gonna work fine.