Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: brown ale recipe  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
brown ale recipe
« on: October 09, 2015, 02:46:34 pm »
Posting a lot today...

Constructing a brown ale recipe for the misses that I will like myself. I have been drinking a lot of the homebrew solo lately. Going the unconventional rout:

85% munich light (6L)
10% flaked oats
5% carafa

~20 SRM

With the munich this should end up malty but I also want some sweetness without overdoing it. I don't use crystal malt very much. Would 5% be a good starting amount? I am sure it could get overly malty sweet quickly with the munich.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: brown ale recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 03:44:33 pm »
I definitely wouldn't add any crystal to an 85% Munich beer. There'll be a ton of malty richness there as is.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 03:55:51 pm »
I definitely wouldn't add any crystal to an 85% Munich beer. There'll be a ton of malty richness there as is.

That my first thought. Just thought some sweetness might help with a brown. I equate munich to malty and crystal to sweet. I think I will avoid the crystal for now.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 03:58:59 pm »

That my first thought. Just thought some sweetness might help with a brown. I equate munich to malty and crystal to sweet. I think I will avoid the crystal for now.

Not saying you couldn't. If you did you'd want to balance it with enough bitterness to keep it from being cloying. That much Munich is definitely malty, but can be a touch sweet, too.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 08:18:37 pm »

Not saying you couldn't. If you did you'd want to balance it with enough bitterness to keep it from being cloying. That much Munich is definitely malty, but can be a touch sweet, too.

Good points. Thanks for your help. I am planning on about 25 IBUs of something clean like magnum. Maybe that much Munich is a bad idea but dunkel was my original influence so I am going for a hybrid sort of thing here.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 09:33:04 am »
It makes perfect sense if this is a dunkel-inspired brown ale.

Normally I'm a fan of a little crystal and a little chocolate malt in brown ales but you definitely do not need crystal malt with all that munich unless you're trying to drive a touch of darker fruit flavors with a small amount (1-2% max) of higher lovibond crystal. I think you are fine getting the right amount of sweetness with the munich malt but if there's any concern I'd opt for a lower attenuating yeast strain (like London Ale III) to leave behind some sweetness. Dumping in crystal could easily get you from sweet to cloying.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 11:16:46 am »
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

I hadn't really gotten to yeast yet. I have been posting a lot about k97 recently. I might try it in this but mash high in attempt to get a bit lower attenuation.

I am on the fence about the flaked oats. I like the idea of what it should bring to the beer.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 11:29:18 am »
It makes perfect sense if this is a dunkel-inspired brown ale.

Normally I'm a fan of a little crystal and a little chocolate malt in brown ales but you definitely do not need crystal malt with all that munich unless you're trying to drive a touch of darker fruit flavors with a small amount (1-2% max) of higher lovibond crystal. I think you are fine getting the right amount of sweetness with the munich malt but if there's any concern I'd opt for a lower attenuating yeast strain (like London Ale III) to leave behind some sweetness. Dumping in crystal could easily get you from sweet to cloying.
I had a similar thought. Maybe mash low to keep it from being too underattenuated, then go with something like 1968 or WLP051 to leave a little sweetness behind.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 12:06:15 pm »

I hadn't really gotten to yeast yet. I have been posting a lot about k97 recently. I might try it in this but mash high in attempt to get a bit lower attenuation.

I am on the fence about the flaked oats. I like the idea of what it should bring to the beer.

WY1450
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 12:27:06 pm »

WY1450

Yep, that's the strain I use most for brown ales, porters  and stouts. I can't believe it's not used more, Denny.
Jon H.

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 08:29:17 am »

WY1450

Yep, that's the strain I use most for brown ales, porters  and stouts. I can't believe it's not used more, Denny.

+1
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 09:35:28 am »
I do need to give 1450 a try.

I think I am going to keep the grains where they are at from the OP. For hops I am thinking a mixture of Magnum and possibly something noble for bittering then may another small charge of noble hops at 20 min or so.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 07:23:49 am »
How did it turn out?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 07:39:25 am »
Unfortunately I have not gotten to this one yet and probably won't until early November. I had a couple of batches that I had to get brewed with time to age before xmas.

I plan to brew the original recipe but just use yeast I have on hand, likely K97 or US05. I will try to remember to update.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 07:57:59 am »
That looks tasty, goschman. I made a Munich malt based brown ale last year, and it was very tasty. I believe I used some brown malt and pale chocolate in mine. 1450 was the yeast. Let us know how you like it.
Kyle M.