Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fox and Goose Mild Ale 1.0  (Read 1903 times)

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
Fox and Goose Mild Ale 1.0
« on: November 30, 2015, 11:15:07 am »
hello every one and I hope everyone had a very nice Holiday week!   I did :)  :P

So I was driving from Central California to Northern California yesterday and I was listening to Drew..Dennys good friend. Youtube podcast... Drew mentioned a Mild with rye malt...so i got inspired

I didnt use it here ..maybe I should????

so when i got to my destination I looked up Bitritish Milds... and I though.. hmm let me try to formualte this..

So here goes: feel free to  chew me up and spit me out..  ha.. maybe ill give you heartburn.... ;D

My reason for using 2 base malts:  I made 2 hot teas with both malts recently; ea. has their own wonderful taste... BUT mixed together..WOW!!!!!!
Marris Otter: bready, buiscuity, brown color
Golden promise: Sweet, malty, light colored

And their UK/ Irish.. so i think works here...

Method: All Grain
Style: Dark Mild   
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)   
Boil Size: 7.52 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.029 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)   
Original Gravity: 1.037
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 3.41%
IBU (tinseth): 19.80
SRM (morey): 13.98

BU/GU ratio: .54  (Style:0.51)

Mash in: 153F @ 1.55qts
Yeast:  White labs WLP005

Fermentables
Amount                    PPG   °L                    Bill %
3 lb   United Kingdom - Golden Promise   37   3   44.4%
3 lb   United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale   38   3.75   44.4%
0.5 lb    United Kingdom - Carastan (30/37)   35   34   7.4%
0.25 lb United Kingdom - Chocolate   34   425   3.7%
6.75 lb   Total   

Hops
Amount (Pellets)   
0.75 oz   East Kent Goldings    Boil 60 min 
1 oz          Fuggles                Aroma 5 min.      
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:16:59 am by 2brew559 »
JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Fox and Goose Mild Ale 1.0
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 05:43:57 am »
It looks good to me. Given that overall your grain bill is pretty simple  I'm not concerned about the two base malts. My personal preference would be to have the fuggles at 60 minutes and the EKG as the late addition, probably a whirlpool.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 08:29:46 am »
I think it looks good too, especially using the English specialty malts. The late hop addition is a personal choice if you want it there, but typcially there is no hop aroma or flavor. 1 oz late in the boil could really impact a beer as "Mild" as this where you want the malty sweet/caramel/toffee/chocolate to be the stars.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:22:43 am »
I think it looks good too, especially using the English specialty malts. The late hop addition is a personal choice if you want it there, but typcially there is no hop aroma or flavor. 1 oz late in the boil could really impact a beer as "Mild" as this where you want the malty sweet/caramel/toffee/chocolate to be the stars.

Yup. This is all personal preference of course but a mild should only be bittered for balancing of the sweetness, not to give flavor or aroma. You might find that this hop schedule puts you closer to ordinary bitter territory rather than mild and it, in fact, might make a fantastic beer! Looks like a good recipe to me.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 09:56:40 am »

Yup. This is all personal preference of course but a mild should only be bittered for balancing of the sweetness, not to give flavor or aroma. You might find that this hop schedule puts you closer to ordinary bitter territory rather than mild and it, in fact, might make a fantastic beer! Looks like a good recipe to me.
You two are probably right, I actually had bitter on my mind anyway. Still, if doing late hops at all I would still prefer EKG to fuggles in that slot.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline 2brew559

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 10:50:25 am »
Thanks guys...

Good critiques

and you got my brain thinking..

yea I think will taste good.. the 2 base malts are awesome as stand alone.. but together Yummy for my tummy..   ;D

I'm just gonna drop the Fuggles and use the EKG at 60 to get  around 20 IBUS = .54 BUGU ratio

JUST A REGULAR GUY WHO BREWS!
Aplaudir Amigos Y Amigas  :)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 01:55:09 pm »
Thanks guys...

Good critiques

and you got my brain thinking..

yea I think will taste good.. the 2 base malts are awesome as stand alone.. but together Yummy for my tummy..   ;D

I'm just gonna drop the Fuggles and use the EKG at 60 to get  around 20 IBUS = .54 BUGU ratio

The mix of base malts is a great idea. Dropping the late hop is best unless you want a hoppy little Mild thats cool too. Its your beer but sounds like you got a good plan now.