Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: blending  (Read 2469 times)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: blending
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 08:37:36 am »
I don't do much post-bottling blending of my own beers but I have done a fair amount of pre-bottling blending and plan to do a lot more of it.

My wife and I play the worst half and half game at bars (it's exactly what it sounds like) and the worst combination is usually something like Dos Equis and Liefman's Framboise. Nothing like skunk, raspberry and lactic acid mixed together to create a good time.

I've long thought it would be fun to brew several IPAs with each IPA having a limited number of hop varieties and slightly different grain bills and hop schedules and put them all on tap together to blend at will. I don't have that kind of space or the desire to drink that many kegs of IPA. Maybe some day.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 11:33:10 am »
Blending is an important skill for correcting minor problems or imbalances in beers. It has produced more than one Ninkasi winner in the past and you can too...if you have the palate and skill.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 06:37:26 am »
I was at a beer fest where Left Hand  Brewery was serving its Sawtooth Ale and its Milk Stout both nitro servings, which the server offers as a blend he called a "Moo-tooth ale".  It was quite good.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 06:39:34 am »
At the NHC Club Night in Orlando we were blending my Poblano Wit with a Smoked Porter.  We called it Arizona Black and Tan.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 08:37:20 am »
Blending is an important skill for correcting minor problems or imbalances in beers. It has produced more than one Ninkasi winner in the past and you can too...if you have the palate and skill.

So true.  Over the years I've had batches that didn't end up as intended, and I was always able to salvage them by blending with other brews I had on hand (some of my favorite standard 'house' recipes were actually the result of some of these blends). Taking good notes on brew day and careful measuring at blending time allowed pretty accurate reproduction of the blends and repeatability by subsequently using some 'reverse engineering'.

The blending idea has certainly been used in commercial settings as well, both in actual production as well as experimentation/formulation.  It's standard procedure in some UK breweries, and it has also been suggested (whether it's true or not) that many of Pabst's contract brewed 'legacy' brands actually may be a variety of blends using a core set of standard brews.

In the early '80s, I attended a beer talk/tasting in New York conducted by Matt Reich, the guy behind the excellent New Amsterdam Lager.  During a chat with Matt afterwards, I asked how he and his consultant (the esteemed Joe Owades) came up with the flavor profile and formula for New Amsterdam (which was a very good beer, and unsurprisingly in many ways quite similar to Sam Adams Boston Lager, which  hit the market around the same time).   His answer was that one of the primary things they did to arrive at a prototype for the final product was to concoct and taste various blends of a large selection of commercial products (both domestic and imported) which were available at the time.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 07:23:18 am »
More than one of my competition entries has been named "...but, blending is cheating!"

I brew for my own taste but blend for competition. I try not to let "hmm, what else could I do with this?" over-analysis get in the way of enjoyment; sometimes I'm even successful.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 06:36:05 pm »
just occurred to me as I drink a blend of oktoberfest and german pils, that it tastes a lot like a dortmunder!
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next: