Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop and beer flavor  (Read 1065 times)

Offline lenphallock

• Cellarman
Hop and beer flavor
« on: October 02, 2015, 07:54:30 pm »
I have a stupid question. Does anyone else experience this? I brew a beer and it ferments then it goes to a keg. Then I taste it a few days after I keg it, and it's ok. I put it back for a couple more days, it's a little better. Then all of a sudden, I walk downstairs and try this beer. The heavens open up and the beer tastes better then anything it ever tasted. I call a bunch of my buddies, we drink a bunch of this fantastic beer l, then I go to sleep. A few days later I go to taste it, supper disappointing. I have won more than a few awards for my beer knowing this cycle. I know beer changes in taste with age, especially with hoppy beers but in a matter of a couple of days...? Does any body else deal with this? If so, what is the work around? Help me out!!!

Offline neddles

• Brewer
Re: Hop and beer flavor
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 08:13:44 pm »
Yes, exactly that. But only on dry hopped beers. And the best I have been able to ascertain is that I am not dropping enough yeast out before dry hopping. I have dry hopped kegged and chilled and it is amazing for 3-4 maybe 5 days after it becomes drinkable and then boom it falls off a cliff. I think residual yeast are taking down the hop goodies so to speak but I am not sure of this. I also have the feeling that some yeasts are pulling out hop flavor more than others as they drop. For example WY1450, WY1272 beers seem to retain more dry hop character even after the yeast drop while S-04, S-05, and WY1056 beers seem to be the ones that have dropped very fast with the yeast.  Hopefully we can get some further thoughts on the matter.

Offline lenphallock

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 08:31:25 pm »
I too have thought it had something to do with the yeast. Darn nasty critters. Sounds like it is time for some "beersperiments"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 08:04:27 am »
O2 will be problem for hoppy beers. Make sure to keep any air out of the keg. If you dry hop in the keg, page it many times with the CO2 pressure cranked up to reduce the O2 level.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 09:32:08 am »
In my case the keg is always purged and I even push the beer into the keg with CO2.

evil_morty

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 08:55:47 am »
Yes, exactly that. But only on dry hopped beers. And the best I have been able to ascertain is that I am not dropping enough yeast out before dry hopping. I have dry hopped kegged and chilled and it is amazing for 3-4 maybe 5 days after it becomes drinkable and then boom it falls off a cliff. I think residual yeast are taking down the hop goodies so to speak but I am not sure of this. I also have the feeling that some yeasts are pulling out hop flavor more than others as they drop. For example WY1450, WY1272 beers seem to retain more dry hop character even after the yeast drop while S-04, S-05, and WY1056 beers seem to be the ones that have dropped very fast with the yeast.  Hopefully we can get some further thoughts on the matter.

I suspect this is true as well.  no hard evidence though.