Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Percentage Based Extract Method  (Read 3173 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Percentage Based Extract Method
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 11:23:28 am »

Even if I do a steep I can usually keep it at or below an hour. It isn't perfect and doesnt offer the control of AG or BIAB, but using the percentages lets me at least approximate AG/BIAB recipes.

My one concern was and will still be the levels of attenuation I get using extract.
That can be managed using some simple sugar if needed and sticking to Pilsen or Extra Light DME as the bulk of your base extract (those are the most fermentable, in my experience).

Extract beers are best suited to beers that rely on hops, yeast, and/or specialty grains for the bulk of their flavor. A beer such as a Dunkel or Märzen that gets the bulk of its flavor from base malt won't have as rich of a base malt character compared to using all-grain.

What about Munich extract?

My extra Belgians have been solid too.

Sent via Tapatalk

It all depends on who makes the extract and what's in it.  There is no single "recipe" that extract makers use.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 11:31:45 am »

Even if I do a steep I can usually keep it at or below an hour. It isn't perfect and doesnt offer the control of AG or BIAB, but using the percentages lets me at least approximate AG/BIAB recipes.

My one concern was and will still be the levels of attenuation I get using extract.
That can be managed using some simple sugar if needed and sticking to Pilsen or Extra Light DME as the bulk of your base extract (those are the most fermentable, in my experience).

Extract beers are best suited to beers that rely on hops, yeast, and/or specialty grains for the bulk of their flavor. A beer such as a Dunkel or Märzen that gets the bulk of its flavor from base malt won't have as rich of a base malt character compared to using all-grain.

In my experience, the extracts fall a bit short in flavor, although I admit that I primarily use DME. Really fresh LME may give better results.

Your extract Belgians are probably solid more from the yeast's contribution rather than the extract.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

RPIScotty

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 11:57:14 am »

In my experience, the extracts fall a bit short in flavor, although I admit that I primarily use DME. Really fresh LME may give better results.

Your extract Belgians are probably solid more from the yeast's contribution rather than the extract.
True

RPIScotty

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 10:36:36 am »
The more I think about it, a good middle ground may be to just partial mash. Even if I only got 50% efficiency, I could just do a brief 30 minute mash and be able to get some base malt in there as well.

I could top up with light DME. Wouldn't take anymore time than my extract method does and would probably yield a more flavorful wort.