Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Surprise AZ  (Read 3778 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Surprise AZ
« on: March 12, 2011, 04:10:53 pm »
I'll be in the Phoenix area next week to help my mom move from Peoria to Surprise.  Any good brewpubs/restaurants with beer nearby?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Surprise AZ
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 04:45:27 pm »
For some reason all I can keep thinking of is the punchline to a really bad practical joke.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 04:56:27 pm »
All I can think of is Gomer Pyle..."Surprise, surprise, surprise"

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 08:10:12 pm »
All that I know are East of Phoenix. Four Peaks in Tempe and Papago Brewing in Scottsdale were the best when I was going out there often for work  8 to 10 years back. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:41:36 pm »
All I can think of is Gomer Pyle..."Surprise, surprise, surprise"
Funny, thats what I think every time I hear it too! There are a few good breweries here in the Phoenix, although probably not too many out on the west side of town. If you're up for a little drive, head to Tempe for 4 Peaks Brewery and Sleepy Dog Brewery. About 15 minutes further you can see San Tan Brewing in Chandler. I've been to all of these breweries several times. Heres how they rank:
1. San Tan. Beer is on point. Try their Hop Shock IPA or their Gordo Stout. Food is on point, service is good.
2. 4Peaks. They're the older statesman here. They make a solid beer. I go for the Hop Knott or one of their seasonals. They make a pumkin porter in the fall that is awesome! Food is good, service is great.
3. Papago Brewing in S. Scottsdale. They dont brew on site anymore but they contract through another brewery up north. Their house beers are great. Try the Elsie's Irish Cream Stout! Nothing short of amazing!!! Their overall selection is great. 35 awesome beers on tap and God knows how many bottles. This will be the place that makes you feel most like home. It's like a bottle shop there in Oregon. Its similar to the Beer stein in Eugene but with a little lower quality food.
4. Sleepy Dog. Good beer, no food to speak of. You can order in but what a pain in the ass!

Hope you have fun here in the Valley. The weather will be fantastic! Bring your shorts! Theres a couple home brew shops here as well, if you want to hit up the local shops!

Matt
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 06:30:16 am »
You may already know, but a block in AZ last forever...nothing builds tall, everything builds long. Papago is my go to place, but it's a darn long way from Surprise to Scottsdale. I don't go to Papago for their beer, I go for their guest beers. If you cannot find anything else, the Yard House chain should have something on tap which would scratch the itch...  ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:44:06 am »
Thanks for all the tips.  I don't know how much time I'll actually have to travel for beer, given the family nature of the trip.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 10:14:16 am »
Can't give you much help with the pubs question. Just wanted to say my folks used to have a Park Model at the Sunflower Resort in Surprise.  They really enjoyed the resort & the area.  I'm sure your Mom will enjoy it too. Lot's to do. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 10:27:38 am »
I've heard good reports for Sonoran Brewing if you don't mind driving down to Scottsdale.

http://www.sonoranbrewing.com/home.php
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 10:28:49 am »
Can't give you much help with the pubs question. Just wanted to say my folks used to have a Park Model at the Sunflower Resort in Surprise.  They really enjoyed the resort & the area.  I'm sure your Mom will enjoy it too. Lot's to do. Cheers!!!

My Mom has lived in the Peoria/Surprise area for 30+ years.  She's just getting too old to live alone in a big house and wants to move to an assisted living place.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 11:08:52 am »
Grandma Gardner lives in Sun City. The only thing on that side of town is a Rock Bottom at 7640 West Bell Road, Glendale, AZ - (623) 878-8822. Not the greatest, but better than nothing.

Brew on

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:15:34 am »
Thanks, Tom.  I've been to that one, and it looks like maybe I will again!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 09:09:09 pm »
SunUp Brewery on Camelback and about 3rd St is somewhat close to where you'll be, he's an awesome brewer!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 10:20:51 pm »
Thanks, Eric!  I've got one more night here and I hope I can get by there.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 08:56:10 am »
WOW!  That really brings back some great memories Denny.  I used to make the trip from Surprise to Okoboji every Mother's day weekend with my Mom. I did that for 10 years after my Dad passed away. Hope you enjoyed your time with your Mom!! Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!