Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: primary bucket spiggot  (Read 1682 times)

Offline techguy

• 1st Kit
primary bucket spiggot
« on: October 08, 2015, 07:02:33 pm »
Hi Guys,
I'm new the forum, and have a quick question if you wouldn't mind.
I'm installing a spigot to my primary bucket, and don't know how high from the bottom of the bucket I should place the hole for it.
Any help out there?
Thanks in advance!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: primary bucket spiggot
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 07:14:46 pm »
I hate spigots for anything other than a bottling bucket. Too hard to keep clean and sanitary while in use. For bottling bucket I go as low as I can and still get a good seal. I just have to be careful not to sit it down on the spigot

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 12:53:44 am »
I hate spigots for anything other than a bottling bucket. Too hard to keep clean and sanitary while in use. For bottling bucket I go as low as I can and still get a good seal. I just have to be careful not to sit it down on the spigot

For that reason I recommend installing it high enough that the spigot wont hit when the bucket is set down. Tilt the bucket to get the last of your brew out.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 06:22:33 am »
I hate spigots for anything other than a bottling bucket. Too hard to keep clean and sanitary while in use.

+1

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 06:36:46 am »

For that reason I recommend installing it high enough that the spigot wont hit when the bucket is set down. Tilt the bucket to get the last of your brew out.
Certainly an option. I just assemble mine so the bottling wand is snug at about 3 o'clock position.  Fill it, lift it to where I am doing my bottling, then tighten the wand to the 6 o'clock position.

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 10:12:59 am »

Certainly an option. I just assemble mine so the bottling wand is snug at about 3 o'clock position.  Fill it, lift it to where I am doing my bottling, then tighten the wand to the 6 o'clock position.
Huh, any leakage issues?
Im about to install some spigots on my small batch fermentors so I can bottle right from primary. I will be priming with "pills" for simplicity.
I like the idea of rotating the spigot but have leakage concerns.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 02:47:28 pm »
I tighten it by hand to where it feels like it wont leak. Then 1/4 turn more to point the wand down. No leaks.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 02:53:14 pm »
I tighten it by hand to where it feels like it wont leak. Then 1/4 turn more to point the wand down. No leaks.

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 12:53:55 pm »
I may give it a shot.
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 01:24:45 pm »
Let us know how it goes. You can always try it out with water first rather than spill beer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 08:35:44 am »
Let us know how it goes. You can always try it out with water first rather than spill beer
+1 - I brew a lot of 1-gallon batches and they're a PITA to bottle. I've been using an autosiphon attached to a bottling wand to bottle right from the primary because I'm worried I'd lose too much by racking to a bottling bucket first. If you come up with a decent rig, I'd be tempted to give it a shot.

For my next round of trial batches I'm thinking of racking to a keg, then bottling from there under low CO2 pressure.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer