Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The yeast cultures have landed!  (Read 1887 times)

S. cerevisiae

The yeast cultures have landed!
« on: October 12, 2015, 07:21:27 pm »
Denny and Drew were in the loop on this one merely because we were exchanging PMs on a different subject while I was taking part in this adventure.  For those who do not know, Lallemand has owned majority share in the Siebel Institute of Technology since 2000.  I have mentioned this connection before when discussing Lallemand BRY 97, which is Siebel BRY 97.

Anyway, I ordered two Siebel cultures that have been on my acquisition list since the mid-nineties.   White Labs has taken over Siebel's analytical unit; therefore, I am assuming that they are also propagating Siebel's cultures in liquid form for breweries.    However, Lallemand is clearly propagating Siebel's cultures on slant because the cultures that I ordered shipped from Lallemand's facility in Montreal, Quebec. 

With that said,  even though the U.S. has a free trade agreement with Canada, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) still has oversight over live biological organisms that are imported into the United States from Canada.  The FDA clearly gets a little skittish when a live biological organism is being shipped over the border, even if that organism is just plain old brewer's yeast (I guess that it does not help that Lallemand's Biotechnology Research Institute shares the same address).   

FDA Notice (names and numbers have been removed to protect the innocent)

It is almost comical now, but I did not have a clue as to what to do when a DHL agent contacted me on behalf of the FDA.  I had visions of agents knocking down my door when all that the FDA wanted was the name and address of the manufacturer and a confirmation of what was in the shipment.  It appears that brewers in the United States are not the only people who do not know that a Canadian firm holds controlling interest in America's oldest brewing school (I know that I was more than a little upset when Lallemand acquired majority share in 2000).  The FDA clearly did not know it until I showed them the connection.

Anyway, the cultures are safe and sound in my bank.  I have to say that Lallemand is truly a class act.  Their representatives were very professional.  They are also the only curator from whom I have received slants in true-blue screw cap borosilicate glass culture tubes.   The cultures that I have received from other collections have arrived in Falcon round-bottom tubes, universal tubes, or deep-skirted screw cap non-borosilicate glass vials.  Siebel cultures on slant are not cheap, but they send two slants per culture. Every other culture collection with whom I have dealt only sends one slant per culture.  Even with the hassle of dealing with the FDA, I would order yeast from the Siebel collection on slant again without reservation.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:39:10 am by S. cerevisiae »

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: The yeast cultures have landed!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:35:00 pm »
Now that my friend is cool.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 08:21:53 pm »
That's very cool, Mark. What type of strains, out of curiosity ?
Jon H.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 08:50:56 pm »
I ordered one ale strain and one lager strain.  Neither of these strains fits the description of a Wyeast or a White Labs strain.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:13:51 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 07:54:15 am »
I'd take any of those other slant options over the plug of lyophilized yeast in a piece of glass tube melted at both ends that same labs use to send samples.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 10:34:31 am »
Congrats!  Glad it finally made it!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 10:59:44 am »
I'd take any of those other slant options over the plug of lyophilized yeast in a piece of glass tube melted at both ends that same labs use to send samples.

The only culture collection that I know of that ships brewing cultures in lyophilized form is the NCYC.  I actually like receiving cultures in lyophilized form.  Granted, a lyophilized culture needs to be rehydrated, started, and plated before use, but the use of a lyophilized culture is less time sensitive than a slant.  The only other culture that I have ordered from the NCYC was a lyophilized culture.  However, I ordered that culture before 911.   Hefebank Weihenstephan will ship a culture on sterile cotton.  The sterile cotton is dropped into media upon receipt.  The media still has to be plated for singles if one wants to transfer the culture to slant.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 08:36:19 am »

The only culture collection that I know of that ships brewing cultures in lyophilized form is the NCYC.  I actually like receiving cultures in lyophilized form.  Granted, a lyophilized culture needs to be rehydrated, started, and plated before use, but the use of a lyophilized culture is less time sensitive than a slant.  The only other culture that I have ordered from the NCYC was a lyophilized culture.  However, I ordered that culture before 911.   Hefebank Weihenstephan will ship a culture on sterile cotton.  The sterile cotton is dropped into media upon receipt.  The media still has to be plated for singles if one wants to transfer the culture to slant.

It may be a common technique for public/quasi-public collections. ARS/NRRL does it too.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 03:51:00 pm »
Yes, but the ARS NRRL does not ship to home addresses.  I could order from the ARS NRRL using my work address, but the cultures would count against my organization's quota.