Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: London Calling?  (Read 8993 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: London Calling?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 01:16:51 pm »
John Keeting was interviewed on the CYBI series on BN. There was also a Zymurgy article he wrote IIRC. You can dial your recipe in using those guidelines.
That was my starting point

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 01:30:26 pm »
Well, he didnt have Northdown so im subbing Norther Brewer. Didnt have wy1968, so im going with Thames Valley wy1275,

Ought to be ok I think.

Anything special I ought to know about 1275?

I'm not familiar with 1275, but I've brewed an LP "clone" a number of times.  I can't recall if the recipe was in BYO or Zymurgy (maybe both).  I've found it a couple of places, and there's pretty much no variation.

Anyway, I think that without using 1968 you won't quite get the Fuller's flavor.  But maybe you'll get close enough.

I've also always gone with MO as my base malt.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 02:53:41 pm »
Edit: by the way, mark has talked me into trying the open fermentation on this one. Woo, scary

It's almost Halloween - allow yourself to get spooked!  ;) I'm almost certain you won't be disappointed by the results. I'm a believer in open bucket fermentation now for almost all the British ales I make.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 03:50:42 pm »
Well, he didnt have Northdown so im subbing Norther Brewer. Didnt have wy1968, so im going with Thames Valley wy1275,

Ought to be ok I think.

Anything special I ought to know about 1275?

I'm not familiar with 1275, but I've brewed an LP "clone" a number of times.  I can't recall if the recipe was in BYO or Zymurgy (maybe both).  I've found it a couple of places, and there's pretty much no variation.

Anyway, I think that without using 1968 you won't quite get the Fuller's flavor.  But maybe you'll get close enough.

I've also always gone with MO as my base malt.
Roger that, Joe. It started as an idea, then took a turn when my yeast pusher was out of 1968. And Northdown... then I didn't want to seal up three half-ounce bags, so now its just an English Pale Ale. Should be fun and something I've never brewed before.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 03:52:44 pm »
Edit: by the way, mark has talked me into trying the open fermentation on this one. Woo, scary

It's almost Halloween - allow yourself to get spooked!  ;) I'm almost certain you won't be disappointed by the results. I'm a believer in open bucket fermentation now for almost all the British ales I make.
I may get there too. Mark tells me that it helps bring out the Englishness. My words not his. And thats what im looking for. A good pale ale that you aren't left wondering if its English or what. We shall see

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 06:16:08 pm »

I may get there too. Mark tells me that it helps bring out the Englishness. My words not his. And thats what im looking for. A good pale ale that you aren't left wondering if its English or what. We shall see
I started doing this a couple of years ago, and your assessment is pretty close. I should really do a side-by-side with a closed fermenter sometime, but I do think it helps bring out some of the esters a bit better.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 06:46:15 pm »
I've been considering doing an open ferment in the kettle with my Pale Mild. You guys have me thinking here.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 07:10:27 pm »
Devils advocate ....why not under pitch English yeast and use temp to control/ drive ester profile.?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 07:50:26 pm »
Devils advocate ....why not under pitch English yeast and use temp to control/ drive ester profile.?
I do that too, along with the open ferment. If they all work, why not do all of them?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
London Calling?
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 07:51:59 pm »
I do that too, along with the open ferment. If they all work, why not do all of them?

Perhaps so. I just don't know if each does the same thing, or all does something completely different.

Edit: I'd have fruit flies and stink bugs trying to crash land in my wort if I went open.....that can't be good.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:00:20 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 08:18:14 pm »
+1. A local brewpub does that with Essex yeast. Has a fruity signature.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 08:19:25 pm »
John Keeting was interviewed on the CYBI series on BN. There was also a Zymurgy article he wrote IIRC. You can dial your recipe in using those guidelines.
You may have wandered a little. ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 08:33:01 pm »
You may have wandered a little. ;)
Just a little. Slight different base malt, slight different gravity, slight different yeast, slight different hop and bitterness level. Other than that it should be absolutely identical in every way.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 09:14:31 pm »

Edit: I'd have fruit flies and stink bugs trying to crash land in my wort if I went open.....that can't be good.

Cover the bucket/kettle with sanitized voile (BIAB fabric) secured with an elastic band around the lip.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 09:35:09 pm »

I underpitch and open ferment.  Open fermentation removes all top pressure from the batch.  Plus, it allows one to skim the brown head.

Brown head forming (skimmed and discarded)

Skimmable yeast head (NCYC 1333, a true top-cropping Yorkshire strain)

The head looks like pancake batter.

The strain that Jim is planning to use is a good one.  It has way more character than Wyeast 1968/WLP002.   Wyeast 1275 is from the Brakspear Brewery, which was a double-drop brewery.

http://zythophile.co.uk/2008/09/24/a-tasty-drop-the-history-of-an-almost-vanished-fermentation-system/