Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: London Calling?  (Read 8994 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: London Calling?
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2015, 07:43:10 pm »
I get anise from EKGs along with tea. Occasionally get some orange marmalade as well, but not always.

Orange marmalade = a good growing year coupled with proper handling

That flavor when coupled with the Young's strain's propensity to throw the "grape lollipop" ester is just flat out awesome with a 97% British Pale/3% Carastan grist.   I like drinking the beer young before the lollipop ester ages into a lightly fruity and fine ester profile.  The fruit esters are all ethanol based.

Fuggles give me mushrooms and tree bark. They remind me more of the forest as a whole, rather than straight-up dirt as some would lead you to believe.

Dirt is a sign of poorly handled UK Fuggle.  Properly-handled UK Fuggle has a woody earthiness to it, but the earthiness does not taste like dirt.  There is also a hint of black tea.

I also like Challenger, Northdown, a Brambling Cross, but they are less forgiving hop cultivars.  I am getting ready to experiment with First Gold.  It is supposed to have an orange marmalade aroma coupled with tangerine, spice, and flowers. 

I identified a keeper in my yeast bank that I almost overlooked because I made a Cluster IPA with it, which masked much of its ester profile (the beer was awesome).  The culture is UCDVEN 854. The only information that UC Davis provided was "Ale, England, beer."   This culture has to be related to Young's.  It is has the lollipop-like ester profile, but it is a mixture of fruits.  The strain is too attenuative and does not drop bright enough to be Fuller's.  I made the beer with Crystal of all cultivars. 

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2015, 07:53:24 pm »

I get anise from EKGs along with tea. Occasionally get some orange marmalade as well, but not always.

Orange marmalade = a good growing year coupled with proper handling

That flavor when coupled with the Young's strain's propensity to throw the "grape lollipop" ester is just flat out awesome with a 97% British Pale/3% Carastan grist.   I like drinking the beer young before the lollipop ester ages into a lightly fruity and fine ester profile.  The fruit esters are all ethanol based.

Fuggles give me mushrooms and tree bark. They remind me more of the forest as a whole, rather than straight-up dirt as some would lead you to believe.

Dirt is a sign of poorly handled UK Fuggle.  Properly-handled UK Fuggle has a woody earthiness to it, but the earthiness does not taste like dirt.  There is also a hint of black tea.

I also like Challenger, Northdown, a Brambling Cross, but they are less forgiving hop cultivars.  I am getting ready to experiment with First Gold.  It is supposed to have an orange marmalade aroma coupled with tangerine, spice, and flowers. 

I identified a keeper in my yeast bank that I almost overlooked because I made a Cluster IPA with it, which masked much of its ester profile (the beer was awesome).  The culture is UCDVEN 854. The only information that UC Davis provided was "Ale, England, beer."   This culture has to be related to Young's.  It is has the lollipop-like ester profile, but it is a mixture of fruits.  The strain is too attenuative and does not drop bright enough to be Fuller's.  I made the beer with Crystal of all cultivars.
What is the WYeast or White Labs name for Young's? It sounds good.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2015, 09:04:09 pm »
Actually, now that its had 24 hrs to settle down from being hauled in... last night there was a smidgen of haze. Now the carbonation has equalized and its brilliant clear. That strange tea sweetness is gone. Its quite nice. Lesson, dont jump to conclusions.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2015, 09:24:34 pm »

Actually, now that its had 24 hrs to settle down from being hauled in... last night there was a smidgen of haze. Now the carbonation has equalized and its brilliant clear. That strange tea sweetness is gone. Its quite nice. Lesson, dont jump to conclusions.
That happens to me a lot.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2015, 09:40:16 pm »
Yup. Kinda plays into my adjusting final ph thread. If there's no obvious off faults the tiniest changes can make big differences.

The wife is off tonight and I had a random bottle of Redhook in the fridge.  Not what I would consider a great example, but what I had. I set up a quicky triangle. 2 of mine, one of Redhook. Just told her, is one different?  If yes, which one and is it better? Took her a while and she picked one of mine as different and better. I compared one on one and found they are very similar, but Redhook has (obvious to me) diacetyl, and less of what I would call UK hop character. Malt aroma and flavor in mine comes off more authentic too, if not slightly too heavy on the crystal for me. It was 12 lbs GP and 1 lb Bairds C70-80
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:45:33 pm by klickitat jim »

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2015, 07:18:57 am »

I jump to conclusions for almost every beer I brew...haha. My kolsch is a repeat offender in that my notes specifically state 'this beer really needs a month in the keg to come together'. For the last batch, I was disappointed in it until....it was in the keg for a month and then it was glorious.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2015, 08:46:52 am »

I jump to conclusions for almost every beer I brew...haha. My kolsch is a repeat offender in that my notes specifically state 'this beer really needs a month in the keg to come together'. For the last batch, I was disappointed in it until....it was in the keg for a month and then it was glorious.
I almost dumped my Gewurz Saison in frustration when my initial samples were nowhere close to what I had expected. I put the keg aside to condition at room temp for 6 months and now it is a beer I am particularly proud of and on my short list of scheduled rebrews.

Its easy to get caught up in wanting to drink everything super fresh just because you can. Time is an overlooked ingredient in brewing. Some recipes need a lot, some need a modest amount, and for some it isn't called for at all.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2015, 08:54:11 am »
Its easy to get caught up in wanting to drink everything super fresh just because you can. Time is an overlooked ingredient in brewing. Some recipes need a lot, some need a modest amount, and for some it isn't called for at all.

very well put.  Its amazing how many times, despite having 4 beers on tap, that I will go 'steal' a 6oz pour from a keg that has been on deck all of a week and form an opinion long before the beer is truly ready.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2015, 09:03:02 am »

very well put.  Its amazing how many times, despite having 4 beers on tap, that I will go 'steal' a 6oz pour from a keg that has been on deck all of a week and form an opinion long before the beer is truly ready.

I am glad I am not alone here. After kegging, I take small samples almost every day while it carbonates. I don't think I have the ability to let a beer sit in the keg until it is truly ready...I have consciously tried many times...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2015, 12:25:47 pm »

I believe it is Wyeast 1768.  It isn't a year round release though.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2015, 07:19:40 pm »

Yes, the Young's strain is available as Wyeast 1768 English Special Bitter.  It is also available as White Labs WLP033 Klassic Ale.  Neither offering is standard production.  However, the last time that Wyeast offered 1768 was in the fall of 2011, so it should come around again in the fall of 2016 as a PC strain.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2015, 12:09:33 am »

Yes, the Young's strain is available as Wyeast 1768 English Special Bitter.  It is also available as White Labs WLP033 Klassic Ale.  Neither offering is standard production.  However, the last time that Wyeast offered 1768 was in the fall of 2011, so it should come around again in the fall of 2016 as a PC strain.
Not quite that long ago.
https://www.wyeastlab.com/PC4thq2013.cfm

The Wyeast description doesn't really sell the strain too well.
"It is similar to our 1968 London ESB Ale but slightly less flocculant."
So just get 1968 then?