Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New German Only(Brewing) site and forum  (Read 85926 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: New German Only(Brewing) site and forum
« Reply #555 on: May 10, 2016, 12:15:11 pm »
For the record I used Brewtan B for about 6 months and stopped using it because I really wasn't sure it was doing anything.

Also, my understanding is that Brewtan B helps facilitate the removal of lipids which are extremely susceptible to oxidation.

Thanks for the data point.  Did you do any blind trials or was it just your impression?  And when I say "just", I'm not giving you short shrift! n And BTW, I have one very techy paper that actually shows the chemical reaction that Brewtan interferes with, if I understand it correctly.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #556 on: May 10, 2016, 12:44:37 pm »
Depending on a few things, a 1% solution (assuming 1 g tannic acid in 100 g solution) would give a pH around 6.5. The gallic acid in there (up to 1% according to the data sheet) may bump this a bit lower but pure tannic acid shouldn't be at pH 3.0-4.0.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about the tannic acid itself - it simply cannot provide many protons to drive down pH in any significant way.

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #557 on: May 10, 2016, 01:10:05 pm »
For the record I used Brewtan B for about 6 months and stopped using it because I really wasn't sure it was doing anything.

Also, my understanding is that Brewtan B helps facilitate the removal of lipids which are extremely susceptible to oxidation.
How'd it work as a fining agent? It seems they push that pretty heavy in the literature. I'm wondering if this stuff along with SMB in some concoction may be the ticket? This is interesting and I'm looking forward to playing around with it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #558 on: May 10, 2016, 02:05:07 pm »

Thanks for the data point.  Did you do any blind trials or was it just your impression?  And when I say "just", I'm not giving you short shrift! n And BTW, I have one very techy paper that actually shows the chemical reaction that Brewtan interferes with, if I understand it correctly.

No, it would have been impossible. It was just one more thing to remember and one more thing to buy and since I wasn't noticing any difference I stopped using it.

Love to see the paper, can you scan it and post it?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #559 on: May 10, 2016, 02:06:12 pm »

How'd it work as a fining agent? It seems they push that pretty heavy in the literature. I'm wondering if this stuff along with SMB in some concoction may be the ticket? This is interesting and I'm looking forward to playing around with it.

Didn't notice any difference but I was still using whirlflock. Beers end up pretty darn clear on way to fermentor.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #560 on: May 10, 2016, 02:37:38 pm »

No, it would have been impossible. It was just one more thing to remember and one more thing to buy and since I wasn't noticing any difference I stopped using it.

Love to see the paper, can you scan it and post it?

That's the plan as soon as can find time!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #561 on: May 10, 2016, 02:59:54 pm »
During my conversation with Joe, he did tell me to add the brewtan before other finings. In the kettle, I only use Irish Moss at 15 min left in the boil. I suppose I'll add the brewtan at about 20 min before the end.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline wobdee

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #562 on: May 10, 2016, 03:22:53 pm »
I was thinking Brewtan could be used for and replace other fining methods.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #564 on: May 11, 2016, 06:33:01 am »
During my conversation with Joe, he did tell me to add the brewtan before other finings. In the kettle, I only use Irish Moss at 15 min left in the boil. I suppose I'll add the brewtan at about 20 min before the end.

The instructions also say you can add it to the mash, though I believe that you are supposed to add about 30% more. I have a partial package left I'll try to remember to look at dosage instructions when I get in.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #565 on: May 11, 2016, 08:24:12 am »

Dare ya to try adding 4g polyclar (hydrated) and a half tab of whirlfloc @ 10m to KO.     
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #566 on: May 11, 2016, 08:30:50 am »

Dare ya to try adding 4g polyclar (hydrated) and a half tab of whirlfloc @ 10m to KO.   
Can you explain the dare? Never used polyclar in the boil.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #567 on: May 11, 2016, 09:08:50 am »

Can you explain the dare? Never used polyclar in the boil.

Too chicken to take the red pill?  ;D https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=26714.msg347623#msg347623
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Online reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #568 on: May 11, 2016, 09:13:27 am »
Less science more hate.  >:(
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #569 on: May 11, 2016, 09:32:20 am »
In the article I referred to - https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24675.msg349143#msg349143 - it is shown that "it is very rewarding to combine mashing-in with pH adjustment and applications of both PVPP and gallotannins during the boiling process." pH mash = 5.2, 10 g/hL gallotannins and 10 g/hL PVPP somewhere at the end of the boil.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.