Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New German Only(Brewing) site and forum  (Read 86109 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: New German Only(Brewing) site and forum
« Reply #570 on: May 11, 2016, 09:33:52 am »
During my conversation with Joe, he did tell me to add the brewtan before other finings. In the kettle, I only use Irish Moss at 15 min left in the boil. I suppose I'll add the brewtan at about 20 min before the end.

The instructions also say you can add it to the mash, though I believe that you are supposed to add about 30% more. I have a partial package left I'll try to remember to look at dosage instructions when I get in.

Like I've posted a couple times before, for a 5 gal. batch the recommendation is to add 1/4 tsp. to the strike water, not the mash.  Then mix 1/2 tsp. in a slurry with water and add it with 15 min. left in the boil.  I realize that the package may say something different, but I'll follow Joe's advice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #571 on: May 11, 2016, 10:15:40 am »
Too chicken to take the red pill?

Maybe. I realize that (post-ferment) Polyclar is insoluble but, being a vinyl derivative, I'm not sure how safe I'd feel in boiling it. Seems hard to believe the vinyl compounds wouldn't leech into the wort. Maybe I'm wrong.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #572 on: May 11, 2016, 10:37:16 am »
If anyone here wants to try some Brewtan B, a guy on the Brews Bros. forum (www.brews-bros.com) is ordering 10 lb. and invited people here to get in on it.  http://www.brews-bros.com/topic/112100-a-separate-conversation-low-o2-brewing/page-6

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #573 on: May 11, 2016, 10:39:05 am »

Maybe. I realize that (post-ferment) Polyclar is insoluble but, being a vinyl derivative, I'm not sure how safe I'd feel in boiling it. Seems hard to believe the vinyl compounds wouldn't leech into the wort. Maybe I'm wrong.
I get that, but I'd like to think that if there was problem with a product being used since the 50's we'd know about it by now.  However, I am sure adding that acid created by chemical distillation of chinese gallnuts is 100% safe to boil...  ;D 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

narvin

« Reply #574 on: May 11, 2016, 10:50:15 am »
These papers and products talk specifically about shelf stability 6-12 months out and other stability issues like haze reduction.  It's a big jump to say that these will do anything other than accelerate the traditional lagering process, which does the same as fining along with other added benefits.  You can have a brilliantly bright, fresh beer after 12 weeks of lagering.

I'd be interested in speeding the process up, if it gave the same result, since I find that gelatin helps but doesn't get you all the way there.  We'll see.  But the idea that it's an all or nothing proposition is silly.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #575 on: May 11, 2016, 10:53:49 am »
Any predictions on when Brewtan B will be the first piece of "critical advice" for new brewers. I'm mean it's crazy to think that there is a possibility that all of our beers are total crap.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #576 on: May 11, 2016, 10:57:18 am »

I get that, but I'd like to think that if there was problem with a product being used since the 50's we'd know about it by now.  However, I am sure adding that acid created by chemical distillation of chinese gallnuts is 100% safe to boil...  ;D 

Again, I said I could be wrong. Just never heard of polyclar being used in the boil. As for the tannic acid I wouldn't feel especially concerned about boiling it, but who knows what info might turn up.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #577 on: May 11, 2016, 11:17:57 am »
These papers and products talk specifically about shelf stability 6-12 months out and other stability issues like haze reduction.  It's a big jump to say that these will do anything other than accelerate the traditional lagering process, which does the same as fining along with other added benefits.  You can have a brilliantly bright, fresh beer after 12 weeks of lagering.

I'd be interested in speeding the process up, if it gave the same result, since I find that gelatin helps but doesn't get you all the way there.  We'll see.  But the idea that it's an all or nothing proposition is silly.

What about prevention of oxidizing reactions?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #578 on: May 11, 2016, 11:31:11 am »
I intend to talk to Joe more about it and we'll have him on the show to discuss it.

That's an interview I would be very interested in.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #579 on: May 11, 2016, 11:45:39 am »
Picked up 50g from ibrew.com . Should be enough for ~ a dozen batches if my math is in the ballpark. Enough to get an idea on its merits.

What did that run you with shipping?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #580 on: May 11, 2016, 12:05:16 pm »
Picked up 50g from ibrew.com . Should be enough for ~ a dozen batches if my math is in the ballpark. Enough to get an idea on its merits.

With shipping, $23ish. The actual product was $9-something. It ships from Australia. If it proves to be well liked it'll eventually trickle into more U.S. retailers and LHBS and get cheaper.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #581 on: May 11, 2016, 12:05:45 pm »
I intend to talk to Joe more about it and we'll have him on the show to discuss it.

Definitely.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #582 on: May 11, 2016, 12:08:08 pm »

With shipping, $23ish. The actual product was $9-something. It ships from Australia. If it proves to be well liked it'll eventually trickle into more U.S. retailers and LHBS and get cheaper.

Thanks.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #583 on: May 11, 2016, 12:13:03 pm »

Thanks.

I figure that I can get a dozen batches out of that at a couple bucks/batch, to eval. I feel like the big breweries wouldn't have been spending $ on it if it didn't have a legit impact, but who knows how that translates at home? We'll see.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #584 on: May 11, 2016, 12:13:45 pm »

Hopefully before NHC, but I want to wait til my test batches are done so I can discuss them with him.

www.dennybrew.com