Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New German Only(Brewing) site and forum  (Read 85889 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: New German Only(Brewing) site and forum
« Reply #720 on: October 10, 2016, 07:24:57 pm »
Well put, Derek.
Jesse

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #721 on: October 11, 2016, 06:39:40 am »
Apparently my statements struck a nerve.  Oh well.

I'll be happy to keep an open mind and taste anyone's experiments.  I'm just not going to run my own at this time based on my intuition, which in my experience is usually but not always correct.

Also I know for a fact that IT is possible without any of these fancy techniques.  So, IT remains elusive IMO.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Big Monk

« Reply #722 on: October 11, 2016, 06:49:26 am »

I'll be happy to keep an open mind and taste anyone's experiments.  I'm just not going to run my own at this time based on my intuition, which in my experience is usually but not always correct.

Also I know for a fact that IT is possible without any of these fancy techniques.  So, IT remains elusive IMO.

I would just state once again, as counterpoint to what you have written above, and as an encouragement to anyone with an interest in this style of brewing, that there isn't anything inherently "fancy" about the methods as described.

If you put your mind to it, you can make anything more difficult than it actually is.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #723 on: October 11, 2016, 07:18:19 am »
My apologies for any offense and for the harshness of my previous statements.  I am sincerely working out some character flaws and I know that I need to bite my tongue more often.

I would truly like for someone to send me some beers to hopefully change my mind.  I do have an open mind.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #724 on: October 11, 2016, 07:23:23 am »

I would just state once again, as counterpoint to what you have written above, and as an encouragement to anyone with an interest in this style of brewing, that there isn't anything inherently "fancy" about the methods as described.

If you put your mind to it, you can make anything more difficult than it actually is.

There are many ways to brew, and one just needs to work through what technique gets them to their goal.

On a recent trip through Bavaria I saw basic systems and sophisticated systems. My view is that you may need some extra effort to duplicate the beers made on the sophisticated systems. That goes throughout the ingredients and process.

So have I done LODO? Well as much as I can without some equipment purchases. Will try again. Oh, I will also try Brewtan-B. Then the combination. This old engineer likes to tinker.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #725 on: October 11, 2016, 09:11:04 am »
Heh.... wow, yet another nuke.  The homebrewing world is just crawling with them, especially the super opinionated types.  I'm a Design Engineer at Point Beach.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:15:31 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #726 on: October 11, 2016, 09:25:44 am »
Seriously, why are we still debating this? There are many ways to brew and there are many wrong ways, but also many right ways. What I won't tolerate as a mod on this forum is arrogance, insults, or general ass hattery. The "my way is the best and only way" approach is what is intolerable.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #727 on: October 11, 2016, 09:32:01 am »
I can only speak for myself...

I didn't intend for any debate.  I just arrived to the party super late, after everyone already left, and threw in my 2 cents, it was deemed offensive by one individual, and I apologized, and then recognized that the individual shared many things in common with me, and chuckled out loud.

That is all.
Dave

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #728 on: October 11, 2016, 10:15:36 am »
Seriously, why are we still debating this? There are many ways to brew and there are many wrong ways, but also many right ways. What I won't tolerate as a mod on this forum is arrogance, insults, or general ass hattery. The "my way is the best and only way" approach is what is intolerable.

Well said!
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #729 on: October 11, 2016, 10:54:27 am »
Just lock this sh*t up already, Keith (and delete this post after). Nothing more needs to be discussed in this thread.
Jesse

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #730 on: October 11, 2016, 01:09:20 pm »
Mmmmmm..... beer
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #731 on: October 11, 2016, 02:14:35 pm »
Dave