Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: oxygenation tips  (Read 8329 times)

Offline jwatkins56550

• Cellarman
Re: oxygenation tips
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 07:43:29 pm »
I vaporize ground whole hops, and pump those aromatic vapors through a diffusion stone for a minute or two......just kidding, but I was thinking about that ;)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2010, 10:29:57 am »
That's hilarious.  I'll have to remember that.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 09:16:07 am »
After using an immersion chiller, I use a Siphon Sprayer to transfer to my plastic primary.  Seems to work pretty well.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 10:07:31 pm »
Someone might have mentioned this already, but what about using compressed O2? I heard you can buy oxygen canisters at the hardware store. I assume these are meant for cutting torches, and therefore not "medical grade" oxygen. Are they safe? Are they worthwhile?
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 10:33:08 pm »
Someone might have mentioned this already, but what about using compressed O2? I heard you can buy oxygen canisters at the hardware store. I assume these are meant for cutting torches, and therefore not "medical grade" oxygen. Are they safe? Are they worthwhile?

The worst O2 is what we are breathing. If you don't mind that then that stuff compressed in a can should be OK too.

I wouldn't worry about "medical grade". You're not drinking home brew for you health after all.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2010, 07:03:08 am »
I bought a regulator and .5 micron SS stone from Morebeer (on sale) a couple of years ago and have never looked back.  I did it mostly for the time savings (2 minutes for a big beer, 1-2 for others) and less foam.  Between that and fermentation temperature control, My beers have improved dramatically.  They seem to last a long time too -  20+ batches per tank.  I was hoping for 10.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2010, 09:12:26 pm »
I wouldn't worry about "medical grade". You're not drinking home brew for you health after all.

HA! Good point!  ;D
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.