Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Mash: High vs. Low Temperature | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 7524 times)

narvin

Re: The Mash: High vs. Low Temperature | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 06:40:28 am »
Remember to check your munich malt before assuming anything about its modification.  Best Malz munich is pretty well modified.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 09:24:13 am »
Remember to check your munich malt before assuming anything about its modification.  Best Malz munich is pretty well modified.
Fair enough, although that may still be a good example. A "Pale Ale" kilned heirloom UK varietal may be a better example for what I was trying to get at.

I guess the TL;DR of my previous post is that if a malt has a higher alpha amylase content then it can tolerate a higher mash temperature and/or longer mash, yet still retain some alpha amylase activity by the end of the mash.

This probably explains why there is data showing peak fermentability from mashes in the mid-150's, rather the 140's as we'd typically expect. If your malt is hot enough, then you can push your mash further into beta range before you lose the bulk of your alpha activity.  Your main variables are the half-life of the reaction that denatures your alpha amylase, and the amount of alpha present in the mash.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 10:23:25 am »
Greg Doss of Wyeast gave a talk at NHC 2012 in Seattle about mash temp vs. fermentability vs. yeast strain and showed some surprising results.  If you're a member, I recommend you check it out.
I believe he recommended 153F as optimal, no?

Thinks so, but I'd have to check.  IIRC, it was also strain dependent.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 10:24:24 am »

[/quote

I was about to say the same thing!  I have no problems with conversion or attenuation with Best Munich, even in an all Munich beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 08:29:27 am »
I was about to say the same thing!  I have no problems with conversion or attenuation with Best Munich, even in an all Munich beer.

I love using their Pils malt for the same reason.