Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Hop You Hate  (Read 10826 times)

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
Re: The Hop You Hate
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2015, 12:05:26 pm »
Thanks for the good advice, people! I will start avoiding Nelson Sauvin, Fuggles, Simcoe, Summit, Calypso, Belma,  El Dorado, Cluster, Admiral,  Citra, Sorachi Ace, Saaz, Mosaic, EKG, Galena, and Azacca.

We can just to avoid hops altogether. No risk of getting a bad batch or funky flavor that way. LOL
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2015, 01:24:17 pm »
Apollo as a late hop? My home club did single hop tests. The idea was use 1oz at 0, 1oz at 10, and X amount to hit 35 ibu at 60. The Apollo didn't need anything at 60 and was way harsh.
Meanwhile, my single hopped Apollo test batch was amazing. Lots of orange peel and a touch of dank. Like the best of Amarillo with a touch of Columbus. Just goes to show how much variation there is from crop to crop.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2015, 01:31:37 pm »
Thanks for the good advice, people! I will start avoiding Nelson Sauvin, Fuggles, Simcoe, Summit, Calypso, Belma,  El Dorado, Cluster, Admiral,  Citra, Sorachi Ace, Saaz, Mosaic, EKG, Galena, and Azacca.
And yet, I could take half that list and brew every single one of my beers happily.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2015, 01:37:59 pm »
And yet, I could take half that list and brew every single one of my beers happily.

Yep.
Jon H.

Offline Whiskers

• Cellarman
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2015, 02:31:32 pm »
Only time I didn't like a hop was when I used some homegrown cascade that was picked late.  Not onion-like, but cheesey.

There are some cat-pee notes in some SB wines I like, especially Sancerre. 

Not sure if there is any parallel to garlicky hops, but in red wine fermentations, excessive hydrogen sulphide production is common in the early stages of fermentation.  It usually blows off on it's own, but unchecked, it can result in more stable (and generally unpleasant) mercaptans like the garlic aromas.  Spotted early, it can be remedied with additional aeration of the vat.  H2S production, in excess, is often associated with lack of nitrogen to be traced back to the vineyard.  Some residual H2S can be pleasant in full-bodied wines like cool weather syrah.  It is a sign that the winemaker has been meticulous about avoiding oxygen exposure, often to a fault.  Manure notes can actually be pleasant is small amounts, effecting aroma but not taste.  Like 'real' muenster cheese that can stink like three-day backpacking socks, but actually taste very good.

It's amazing how aromas can be pleasant or not depending on the context.  I think that the perception of any particular hop is very much dependent on that, as much of the above discussion is alluding too.  I avoided fuggles for years, but then found a way to really place them in earthy bitters. 

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2015, 03:58:29 pm »
The brewers rub and sniff them, exam color and quality and choose what they want to contract for.

Do Hop and Brew School attendees get to perform this ritual? 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2015, 05:09:07 pm »
The brewers rub and sniff them, exam color and quality and choose what they want to contract for.

The Simcoe harvest was on full tilt. We got to sample out of a bale of Simcoe in the yard. A guy came over and cut the Brewrs cut in front of us. Got to grab more out of the bale and smell it.

The coolest thing to me was walking the experimental hop field at Perrault farms with Jason Perrault, and we could pick and rub as we walked along listening to him talk about what he looks for in a new hop as a hop farmer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2015, 05:13:20 pm »
The Simcoe harvest was on full tilt. We got to sample out of a bale of Simcoe in the yard. A guy came over and cut the Brewrs cut in front of us. Got to grab more out of the bale and smell it.

The coolest thing to me was walking the experimental hop field at Perrault farms with Jason Perrault, and we could pick and rub as we walked along listening to him talk about what he looks for in a new hop as a hop farmer.

That is very cool, Jeff. Id love to do that sometime.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2015, 06:24:47 pm »

We were there on 9-3 and 9-4. Centennial is the early harvest, some Brewers come to evaluate that. Many show up at the end of Sept to evualate all they are buying. The last to be harvested are Warrior and maybe Columbus at the end of Sept. The harvest is 40 days or less, they work the picking machines and kilns around the clock. Some breweries will buy direct from farms that they have contracts with.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2015, 11:22:07 am »

That's a good idea as long as your tastes are exactly the same as everyone who posted in this thread!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2015, 11:49:23 am »

That's a good idea as long as your tastes are exactly the same as everyone who posted in this thread!

Luckily people have stopped posting, otherwise I would be getting into real trouble!  ;)
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.