Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Hop You Hate  (Read 10803 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: The Hop You Hate
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 12:33:15 pm »
Earlier this summer I had a Pale Ale made with experimental hops at Bells. It was straight up raw green onion/shallot. The wife got a whiff from a few feet away! I wish I know the experimental number for this one, so I could avoid it like the plague.

The vote on Polaris is still out. That minty, wintergreen, floral, and fruity combination is something I might get used to, or decide I don't like.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 12:43:33 pm »
I'm also not a fan of Citra, either on it's own or playing a large role in a beer.  To me it comes across so tropical-fruity that it makes the beer seem too sweet.  Used in moderation with other hops, though, it can play a great role.

Denny - ever had Tocobaga from Cigar City?  lot of hops in the boil, but its all Citra in the DH - its awesome.

If i can only pick one, I won't ever buy El Dorado again.  as commented above, its watermelon jolly rancherish to me.  i can't stand it, even though i do love the candy.

Nope, haven't tried that one, Paul.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 02:06:10 pm »

I am finding that I don't like a lot of the newer IPA varieties as well.

Once all the craft newbies get finished with the newer ipa's, things are likely to come full circle back to Centennial and Cascade. They have really fallen by the wayside the last few years.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 02:17:39 pm »

Once all the craft newbies get finished with the newer ipa's, things are likely to come full circle back to Centennial and Cascade. They have really fallen by the wayside the last few years.
The aroma varieties with the most acres planted are Cascade and Centennial. Then it is Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 02:18:02 pm »

too funny - I agree - am making an Old Skool IPA this weekend with good old Cascade and Cent
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 02:19:00 pm »
CTZ.  A little of it in an IPA, blended with others, is okay, but as a showcase hop the "dank" character just makes me want to set my glass down. 

I am a huge fan of Clusters and never can see why people don't like them.  They are alright as a bittering hop, much better than (yuck) Galena.  The real cat piss hop is Pride of Ringwood.  Just drink a Foster's.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 02:21:06 pm »
I'm about to try a new experimental organic hop called only X17.  Cross between Fuggle and Cascade.  I tasted a beer made with them and they remind me a lot of Amarillo.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 03:00:12 pm »
Most people are going to say I'm crazy, and it pains me to say this, but I am not a fan of Saaz. Every time I have used them in a Pilsner (twice), I get a soapy flavor. The last two times I tried the same recipe, I substited Polish Lublin and Sterling and got much better results.  I doubt it is my water.  It is very soft (Chattahoochee River / Lake Lanier source) run through a charcoal filter.  I use no adjustments for a Pilsner. I can post Ward Labs test specs.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 03:24:41 pm »
Yes, you are crazy.  Saaz is my favorite hop.  ;)

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 03:27:04 pm »
Cluster - cat pee and blackberries - yum!

I do not get cat urine out of Cluster.  I get herbal and lemon.   Chinook and Simcoe are hardcore tomcat.  Citra is like day old cat urine. 

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2015, 04:55:02 pm »
I'm with Denny on hating Fuggles and for the same reasons I don't like Willamette - metallic flavors, like biting a dirty coin.
I find Clusters to have a currant flavor, which doesn't taste good to me as a hop flavor, but I find it totally authentizes a CAP.
Beers hopped with all simcoe are not pleasant to me.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2015, 05:50:53 pm »
Im finding that, once you rule out a bad crop, that it also depends on the way they are used. Simcoe can be catty at 60 minutes, but grapefruit in the whirlpool.

I have a certain amount of agreement with the idea that all these cool new IPA hops will one day be replaced by the cool new old school hops (cascade and centennial etc).

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2015, 05:54:17 pm »
I wouldn't say I hate any particular hop, but a couple I would hesitate to use again are Pheonix and TriplePerle. I liked Pheonix at first, but the combo of herbal, molasses, and chocolate kind of wore me down. I could see it being good in a stout or porter though.

The TriplePerle heavy brew had a menthol aftertaste that I did not care for, which is a shame because it otherwise had a really nice fruity aroma. It tasted like what people always describe Perle tasting like. I love Perle though. I also love Fuggles, and Cluster. :)
Kyle M.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 07:16:11 pm »
I also love Fuggles, and Cluster. :)

+1

Put me in this group as well!  Fuggle is one of my favorite hops, and so is Cluster.  Cluster has to be a terroir sensitive hop because the cones on my first-year E-2 Early Cluster bines were the nicest smelling of all my hops this year.  They had a bright lemony aroma.  I am willing to bet that all of the lemony proprietary hops have Cluster in their parentage.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:10:12 pm by S. cerevisiae »

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 07:43:51 pm »
Put me in the fuggle-loving camp as well, to me it reminds me of a pipe-tobacco earthiness.

As for least favorite hop, so far it's mosaic. Perhaps it's the beers that I've had that feature it, but it just comes as abrasive. Really resinous in a bad way.

That being said, I recently had a beer that tasted strongly of cat piss. Still trying to work out what hop caused that.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.