Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Hop You Hate  (Read 11513 times)

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: The Hop You Hate
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2015, 09:58:32 am »
I have never got cat pee out of any hop.

It is amazing how many people know what cat pee tastes like.

The easy answer for me here is Summit. Same reasons for everybody else. But I'm going against the grain (except for Dave (but I love simcoe)). I hate Mosaic! I try to like it. I always buy commercial beers with it to see if I pick up the great flavors that everybody describes to me. I get the onion/garlic flavor from Mosaic. Same thing when I've used it in homebrews. It's awful. It smells fruity but tastes like butt.

some people say they think something tastes like butt.... ::)

long time no see Frank!

LOL touché, my friend, touché
Frank

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2015, 11:12:15 am »
I have never got cat pee out of any hop.

It is amazing how many people know what cat pee tastes like.
I smell the cat pee in some beers, but it has to be strong. The compound is  4MMP, you may be blind to it if you have never smelled it. Genetics, just like cilantro is like soap to some.
To be exact, 4MMP is present in tomcat urine. If you have an un-neutered male cat who is spraying, that's where you're going to find it. It is not a generic "cat pee" smell necessarily. It is also present in blackcurrants, tomato plants and Sauvignon Blanc grapes, among other things. I associate it very closely to fresh-picked blackcurrants (since I pick my own) rather than cat pee, possibly because all my cats have been spayed females.

Interestingly enough, 4MMP is known to be generated by wine yeast during fermentation. It stands to reason that this could happen in beer if the proper precursors are present in the hops as well.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2015, 11:16:00 am »
To be exact, 4MMP is present in tomcat urine. If you have an un-neutered male cat who is spraying, that's where you're going to find it. It is not a generic "cat pee" smell necessarily. It is also present in blackcurrants, tomato plants and Sauvignon Blanc grapes, among other things.

This is interesting, as I was going to suggest "tomato leaves" as an alternate descriptor.  Sounds like others might agree.  Whatever it is, it's stanky... or delicious, depending on personal preferences or mood.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2015, 12:52:15 pm »
If you dont like the cat pee description, sometimes I get the odor of juniper shrubs. Another you might use if you dont want to offend people by saying their beer smells of cat pee is to use the description of meth lab, but I think you have to define which process and probably its the Nazi Method. Not too many have experienced that so maybe juniper is the most polite and useful.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2015, 01:15:26 pm »
If you dont like the cat pee description, sometimes I get the odor of juniper shrubs. Another you might use if you dont want to offend people by saying their beer smells of cat pee is to use the description of meth lab, but I think you have to define which process and probably its the Nazi Method. Not too many have experienced that so maybe juniper is the most polite and useful.
To me juniper is something different. That's how piny hops come across to me, more like juniper than true pine. Juniper is high in alpha-pinene and myrcene, so that seems to make sense to me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2015, 01:35:14 pm »
Once all the craft newbies get finished with the newer ipa's, things are likely to come full circle back to Centennial and Cascade. They have really fallen by the wayside the last few years.

This will absolutely happen eventually. They'll call it 'OLD SK00L IPA' or "No Nonsense IPA" or some such thing.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2015, 01:49:20 pm »
Once all the craft newbies get finished with the newer ipa's, things are likely to come full circle back to Centennial and Cascade. They have really fallen by the wayside the last few years.

This will absolutely happen eventually. They'll call it 'OLD SK00L IPA' or "No Nonsense IPA" or some such thing.

yeah "they" are very inventive:

I am finding that I don't like a lot of the newer IPA varieties as well.

too funny - I agree - am making an Old Skool IPA this weekend with good old Cascade and Cent

:o ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2015, 02:02:01 pm »
Hahaha, missed that.  :)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2015, 02:25:56 pm »
Paul, I guess you're ahead of the curve on the 'Old Skool' idea. A trendsetter (sort of) !   ;D
Jon H.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2015, 02:28:31 pm »
Paul, I guess you're ahead of the curve on the 'Old Skool' idea. A trendsetter (sort of) !   ;D

yup, and i was brewing pilsners before they were cool again too  ;D

I thought of another hop i will never try again - Caliente.  Bleh!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2015, 02:37:56 pm »

yup, and i was brewing pilsners before they were cool again too  ;D

I thought of another hop i will never try again - Caliente.  Bleh!

Yeah, I was too- BoPils especially back then (big PU fan). I agree on Caliente and I'm firm on Jarrylo now - tried another single hop beer with it. Not a fan. I think it's cool to see the growers put out all these new hops, but they're not all gonna succeed, for sure.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2015, 03:04:42 pm »
Not had a lot of beers with mosaic, but on my pub crawl
Had imperia red IPA withe mosaic. Handed to my wife just to see what she would say....she said smells like B.O.  My thought exactly... Onion smell and taste and yes perhaps a little garlic.....interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2015, 03:13:05 pm »
Had imperial red IPA with

You would've lost me here before you even got to the hop variety...   ;D But yes, I've found mosaic to be quite a loud hop, for better or worse.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2015, 03:27:11 pm »
Had imperial red IPA with

You would've lost me here before you even got to the hop variety...   ;D But yes, I've found mosaic to be quite a loud hop, for better or worse.
I am definitely not a Mosaic fan either.

And I completely agree that the classic 'C' hops will come back around and be popular again. One of the reasons I like Ranger IPA is that it has Cascade, Chinook, and Simcoe and it doesn't have a weird fruit flavor that some newer IPAs have. I know Simcoe is a "newer" variety, but I feel like it's the last really "new" variety that I like (and like a lot).
Jesse

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2015, 03:44:41 pm »

I see several posts about onion flavors. Isn't onion a sign of mistreated hop or hops that were left on the bine too long?

Yeah, from what we learned ah Hop and Brew School, it's a sign of a hop harvested later than optimal.
The reason I ask this is because I have a galaxy pale ale that I have brewed twice. The first time (over a year ago) it was one of my favorite beers. I loved the Galaxy hops flavor. The second time the hops flavor is largely oniony and the beer is barely drinkable.

I don't hate Galaxy hops. But I hate Galaxy hops that were left on the vine too long. People say home brewers get the worst of the  hop crop. In this case, I think that was probably true.