Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The Hop You Hate  (Read 11512 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: The Hop You Hate
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2015, 03:56:26 pm »
But I hate Galaxy hops that were left on the vine too long. People say home brewers get the worst of the  hop crop. In this case, I think that was probably true.

I think that probably explains a lot of these issues with onion/garlic character. We use the best we can get, which are the lots that pro breweries reject - probably because they had inferior character from an overly late harvest. Vast majority of the time we get good beer anyway. Makes me think of Ken's post about the funky Mosaic hops - I've heard a few people say that they can have this character, but so far I've been lucky and gotten great Mosaic hops.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2015, 06:44:24 pm »
Paul, I guess you're ahead of the curve on the 'Old Skool' idea. A trendsetter (sort of) !   ;D

yup, and i was brewing pilsners before they were cool again too  ;D

I thought of another hop i will never try again - Caliente.  Bleh!
i have been working on a Ballantine IPA clone for a few years. The recipe is old school, Cluster, Bullion, EKG (sometimes Brewrs Gold is in the mix). These are all hops from the 1930s at the latest. People say it tastes "Hoppy" in a good way. They don't say citrus, fruity, piney, just hoppy. You should see the faces when I say it has 6 row and corn I the grain bill.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2015, 07:11:55 pm »
I'll also throw a lot of you into fits by naming EKG as low on my list, too.  It usually comes across to me like Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts or Asparagus. 
Interesting. Do you get that from any noble hops like Hallertau? I do get some herbal qualities from EKG, but it's never been overtly vegetal. I'm wondering if that's a sensitivity thing. I usually pick it up closer to black tea. I also get a great anise note from it that seems custom-fit to match the esters of so many English yeast strains.

Nope.  Love all of the Noble hops. 

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2015, 07:34:28 pm »
Tangent back to cat pee: growing up the neighbor across the street had easily 20+ cats. (Feeding time was dumping a 10 lb bag of food into a trough.) Many weren't spayed/neutered. Nothing smells quite like tomcat pee sprayed all over your front door lol.

Except for some beers.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2015, 08:02:56 pm »
The hop I hate is whatever is in any overhopped beer...I like balance and understand that other folks like carpet bombed palate crushers, which is what makes this hobby and the human sense of smell and taste so subjective.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2015, 10:48:26 am »
I guess I've been lucky with Mosaic. No onion or garlic at all. For me I get over ripe Mango or Melon out of it. I especially love it when used with Columbus and Centennial.

I tend to use 2 of the 'old school' hops in nearly all of my IPA/DIPA beers with one new school hop. There's a reason they're classic and some classics never go out of style. For me they can make a strong and familiar base that most IPA drinkers can relate to. I use the newer varieties at flame out and DH to add the more unique flavor.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2015, 10:51:53 am »
People say home brewers get the worst of the  hop crop. In this case, I think that was probably true.

Knowing how hops are grown, picked and processed, I think it would be pretty difficult to set aside the "bad" hops for homebrewers.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tommymorris

The Hop You Hate
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2015, 10:53:56 am »
People say home brewers get the worst of the  hop crop. In this case, I think that was probably true.

Knowing how hops are grown, picked and processed, I think it would be pretty difficult to set aside the "bad" hops for homebrewers.
I wonder about that too. I doubt they set aside bad hops. But I think bigger breweries may have professional buyers who are skilled at selecting quality hops and passing over lesser quality hops.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2015, 10:56:46 am »

I wonder about that too. I doubt they set aside bad hops. But I think bigger breweries may have professional buyers who are skilled at selecting quality hops and passing over lesser quality hops.

You should go to Hop and Brew School and learn how it's done!  I guess it depends on what you man by "bigger breweries" but nearly every brewery I'm aware of sends the brewer to choose the hop lots they want to use.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2015, 10:57:09 am »
Apollo as a late hop? My home club did single hop tests. The idea was use 1oz at 0, 1oz at 10, and X amount to hit 35 ibu at 60. The Apollo didn't need anything at 60 and was way harsh.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2015, 10:58:07 am »

You should go to Hop and Brew School and learn how it's done!  I guess it depends on what you man by "bigger breweries" but nearly every brewery I'm aware of sends the brewer to choose the hop lots they want to use.
Thanks. I am not trying to argue. How do the Brewers select hops? I can't go to hop and brew school.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2015, 11:02:12 am »
Thanks. I am not trying to argue. How do the Brewers select hops? I can't go to hop and brew school.

At least at YCH Hops (formerly Hop Union/Yakima Chief), they go onto a wood paneled room with special lighting.  There is a royal blue tabletop, which is the traditional color for examining hops....no idea why!  As the bales are brought in from the growers, a worker takes a "cut" from the center of the bale of each lot.  Maybe 12"x6"x2-3 in. thick.  The cuts are brought into the selection room.  The brewers rub and sniff them, exam color and quality and choose what they want to contract for.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

The Hop You Hate
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2015, 11:06:22 am »

At least at YCH Hops (formerly Hop Union/Yakima Chief), they go onto a wood paneled room with special lighting.  There is a royal blue tabletop, which is the traditional color for examining hops....no idea why!  As the bales are brought in from the growers, a worker takes a "cut" from the center of the bale of each lot.  Maybe 12"x6"x2-3 in. thick.  The cuts are brought into the selection room.  The brewers rub and sniff them, exam color and quality and choose what they want to contract for.
Thanks.

I suppose BSG sends someone to buy hops for us home brewers using similar practices.

My original point in this thread was really intended to say some flavors are from old or poorly treated hops and not indicative of what you would get from a good batch. In my case I still like Galaxy but I had 1 bad experience.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2015, 11:41:13 am »
Thanks.

I suppose BSG sends someone to buy hops for us home brewers using similar practices.

My original point in this thread was really intended to say some flavors are from old or poorly treated hops and not indicative of what you would get from a good batch. In my case I still like Galaxy but I had 1 bad experience.

I know Brewcraft does, so I assume BSG does the same.

As to Galaxy, Oakshire, the brewery I work for, has an all Galaxy IPA that is stunningly delicious, so I'd agree that you just had bad luck.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2015, 11:58:17 am »
Thanks for the good advice, people! I will start avoiding Nelson Sauvin, Fuggles, Simcoe, Summit, Calypso, Belma,  El Dorado, Cluster, Admiral,  Citra, Sorachi Ace, Saaz, Mosaic, EKG, Galena, and Azacca.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.