Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Broken bucket lid while fermenting  (Read 2709 times)

Offline bassface74

• Cellarman
Broken bucket lid while fermenting
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:39:32 am »
Hey everyone!  Long story short, I had 5 gallons fermenting in a bucket in my basement and my wife (who is now recovering in the ICU from the incident - haha, just kidding) unfortunately didn't turn the light on in the room and set a heavy box right on top of the bucket and the airlock.  The airlock bent over and it cracked the lid by the airlock hole.  I didn't see it till last night, so it had been that way for about 4 days.  Is the beer ruined because oxygen got in there or should I try to keg it?  The crack was about 1 inch long from where the airlock hole is.  The beer is just a simple American light ale.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Broken bucket lid while fermenting
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:50:09 am »
Tape the crack and continue using the airlock or just keep the lid on and put a plastic cup (e.g., Solo) upside down over the hole and crack.  It will keep the bacteria and wild yeast from settling down on the hole or crack.  The active fermentation is producing CO2 which is provides positive pressure and a protective blanket over the beer.  Try to avoid any splashing during lifting and transfer so no beer touches the lid.  You'll be fine for this batch.  Order another lid before you do your next batch.

Offline bassface74

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:02:31 am »
It's actually been fermenting for 2-1/2 weeks and I was going to keg it up last night.  Will it still be cool to keep?

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:06:01 am »
Go ahead & keg it!  The odds of something getting in there and causing havoc with your beer is somewhere between slim & none.
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:08:22 am »
It should be fine. The CO2 production during fermentation helps keep undesireables at bay. Keep in mind that some breweries even until this day conduct open fermentations. I wouldn't worry about it, but I would make sure the wife is aware of your brewing schedule.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline bassface74

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:24:53 am »
Haha - nice!  I have been reading up on open fermentations and it makes sense.  thanks for the info!!!