Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pro-Am legalities in California  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Zymurjosh

• 1st Kit
Pro-Am legalities in California
« on: October 22, 2015, 11:21:15 am »
Our club came up with a good idea.  A multi-stage event that culminates in entering the GABF Pro-Am.  It goes like this:

It starts at Big Brew Day.  To be considered to take part in the pro-am, you must brew at our annual big brew event.  Beers brewed from that event are fermented, packaged, then judged by the chosen Pro in June.  Pro picks his/her favorite and the recipe is brewed by the Pro-Am in July then entered into the GABF Pro-Am competition in Sept/Oct.

Now, I'm pretty confident this is not a big deal.  We have selected our Pro, his boss is asking us to look into any rules or regulations regarding this concept, even though they have done a pro-am before. I think its the pre-process they are worried about. 

Anyone have any insight or comments?  Thanks.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Pro-Am legalities in California
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 11:35:35 am »
I don't see where there would be an issue. CA law allows for comps, and it doesn't matter where the recipe comes from. Stay within the law for comps and you should be good.

Only possible issue I see is a homebrewer working in the brewery freaking out the insurance company.

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
Re: Pro-Am legalities in California
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 11:42:40 am »
Hi Josh (?),

Someone else will have to address the current CA homebrew laws with regard to your plan.  I can address the scenario from the GABF Pro-Am Competition perspective.

Please have your Pro pay attention to the GABF registration dates which will probably be June/July.  They can register a Pro-Am entry even if they haven't picked the homebrew/homebrew recipe.  If they register the entry before they know what it is, they will need to be on top of it enough to edit the entry information when they know it.  The resulting beer must be commercially available (sold on tap/in bottles) before the entry shipping date (August/September).

Your Big Brew competition should be registered with the BJCP if possible.  The homebrewer with the winning entry must be an AHA member by the time the entry is registered (June/July 2016), and the membership must be valid when the GABF Pro-Am competition is judged (September/October 2016).  Be sure to read all of the rules for the Pro-Am, commercial and homebrewer (http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/brewers/competition-information/#11. The dates are for this year and will be updated, but the overall rules will be similar.

Good Luck with your competition and the GABF Pro-Am!

Cheers,
Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org