Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 100% Vienna Lager  (Read 6498 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
100% Vienna Lager
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:45:47 pm »
Anyone ever tried a 100% Vienna Malt lager? I've been debating in my head if I want to go 100% Vienna or split the Vienna with Pils and add a bit of Carahell and/or Munich.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: 100% Vienna Lager
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 12:59:26 pm »
I've not gone 100% yet, but on my last one, which I really loved, I did use 76% Vienna, with the rest being Munich and CaraMunich.  Turned out fantabulous with the 2206 yeast.  No pilsner malt necessary at all.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 01:03:19 pm »
Anyone ever tried a 100% Vienna Malt lager? I've been debating in my head if I want to go 100% Vienna or split the Vienna with Pils and add a bit of Carahell and/or Munich.

I have.

It was very tasty but I tended to prefer one i make that is a mix of pils, vienna, maris otter and caravienne. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 08:53:07 pm »

I have.

It was very tasty but I tended to prefer one i make that is a mix of pils, vienna, maris otter and caravienne.

Interesting choice in marris otter - now I'm wondering what a 100% MO lager would taste like

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 10:58:21 am »
I've done it.  It was good, but almost insipid in its lack of complexity.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 08:51:07 pm »

I have.

Interesting choice in marris otter - now I'm wondering what a 100% MO lager would taste like

100% MO lager is innovative but taste out of place. Once I made alt bier with MO and I would not do it again.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline gareth.stewart

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 12:42:07 am »
I'm about to keg my 100% Vienna Malt beer. Only difference is that I used US-05 so not a lager. It came out really clean and very drinkable. Mittelfrüh and Hersbrucker were used to balance the sweetness and it actually reminds me of a Kölsch style beer. Will post some pics later. :D

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 05:15:24 am »
Oh yeah....... I'm reminded now about a SMASH beer competition that my club did about 5 years ago.  We each selected a different malt and a different hop.  We all agreed that the 100% Vienna beer (I forget the hop and the yeast) had without a doubt the most interesting and delicious malt flavor, and it won the comp.  I brewed my own Vienna lager with a high portion of Vienna only after my learnings from that comp/experiment.  So definitely, all Vienna can make a great beer -- and no debate over specialty malts required!  Just Vienna and roll.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 10:47:12 am »

100% MO lager is innovative but taste out of place. Once I made alt bier with MO and I would not do it again.

Totally agreed.  I find the flavor of MO out of place in many styles.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 06:13:20 am »
I can see how the biscuity character of MO could work in a Vienna lager if used with a balanced touch. Interesting idea.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 08:08:17 am »
I can see how the biscuity character of MO could work in a Vienna lager if used with a balanced touch. Interesting idea.
Indeed. I've subbed Vienna for MO before with good results. I've never thought of going the other way, but I can see the potential.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 09:33:35 am »

My experience, too.

My favorite Vienna recipe is the Mexican variety, 50% Vienna, 20% corn, 25% pils, 5% caravienne, then a little chocolate malt in the sparge to darken it a bit.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 12:22:55 pm »
My experience, too.

My favorite Vienna recipe is the Mexican variety, 50% Vienna, 20% corn, 25% pils, 5% caravienne, then a little chocolate malt in the sparge to darken it a bit.
I might have to brew this one for Cinco de Mayo this year. Sounds damn tasty.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 12:24:58 pm »
Never really understood the need to darken viennas.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 01:40:56 pm »

My experience, too.

Chumley, what does your hop schedule look like with this grist, something noble for just a bittering charge, FWH, anything late?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)