Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 100% Vienna Lager  (Read 6472 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 100% Vienna Lager
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 09:03:30 am »
I've done it.  It was good, but almost insipid in its lack of complexity.

My experience, too.

My favorite Vienna recipe is the Mexican variety, 50% Vienna, 20% corn, 25% pils, 5% caravienne, then a little chocolate malt in the sparge to darken it a bit.

Chumley, what does your hop schedule look like with this grist, something noble for just a bittering charge, FWH, anything late?

I usually do a 50/50 mix of Cluster and Hallertauer for a 20-25 IBU bittering, and a small flavoring addition of Hallertauer (like 0.5 oz. per 5 gallons of wort) for the last 10 to 20 minutes. 

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: 100% Vienna Lager
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 09:11:21 am »
I've done it.  It was good, but almost insipid in its lack of complexity.

My experience, too.

My favorite Vienna recipe is the Mexican variety, 50% Vienna, 20% corn, 25% pils, 5% caravienne, then a little chocolate malt in the sparge to darken it a bit.

Chumley, what does your hop schedule look like with this grist, something noble for just a bittering charge, FWH, anything late?

I usually do a 50/50 mix of Cluster and Hallertauer for a 20-25 IBU bittering, and a small flavoring addition of Hallertauer (like 0.5 oz. per 5 gallons of wort) for the last 10 to 20 minutes.
Thanks that does sound good, may have to give it a shot next year
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)