Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Easy Keezer Airflow System  (Read 9372 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Easy Keezer Airflow System
« on: October 29, 2015, 11:10:56 am »
I posted a shot of this the other day, but I finally got the new 92mm fans in.

Size - The large fans fill out the 3" coupler near perfectly.

Airflow - Noticeably improved over the 5v 80mm fans. The listing states that these have about twice the airflow of the previous fan.

Sound/Noise - Barely noticeable with the lid closed. When the lid is open, it sounds like a server room. This was expected as these are 3500 rpm fans rated at over 60cfm. There is a bit of a buzz due to vibration. I plan to eliminate/minimize this with some foam under the PVC elbow.

Parts list
Elbow and pipe for Lowes or Home Depot for about $15
Power adaptor - I went with this one as it is a switch style versus a transformer. This means lower power consumption. I also picked this one because it came with an adopter with terminal connectors eliminating the need for me to make solder splices or use barrel/bullet connectors. It has a 2A output capacity, so I can add more fans later, but I don't think I will need to. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VM292AO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_ckLmwbY52CZM6
Fans - I picked these for the size and airflow. Price was good as well. I have some dollar fan guards coming from China in a few weeks. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H8UVJ00/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_qlLmwb9Z45EMY

Offline beersk

• In the night!
Re: Easy Keezer Airflow System
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 12:00:49 pm »
Nice setup. I need to get something like that in my freezer.
Jesse

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 02:42:51 pm »
Steve, I know you have posted a lot about this project. Seeing it in relation helps. But now what I am wondering is which way is your flow? Are they feeding higher air down to the Eva dry, or post Eva dry air to the top? Not a critique,  I'm just curious
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 02:47:16 pm »
I'm pulling air from the bottom. I have two reasons for positioning the EvaDry there. One, it's empty space; and two, I figure there will be a decent amount of flow there.

One thing I have already noticed is how much cooler the collar is to the touch. I always thought that insulating the collar, while easy and cheap, was not needed. I might need to add some foam now.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 03:25:10 pm »
I'm pulling air from the bottom. I have two reasons for positioning the EvaDry there. One, it's empty space; and two, I figure there will be a decent amount of flow there.

One thing I have already noticed is how much cooler the collar is to the touch. I always thought that insulating the collar, while easy and cheap, was not needed. I might need to add some foam now.
Keezer newbie question as I just bought a 10 cf GE and will be building mine soon. Why the EvaDry? Are you fermenting in there too?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 03:26:35 pm »
That's a pretty great setup, I will be building another, larger keezer soon and looks like I will be incorporating this setup to improve the airflow!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 03:28:37 pm »

Keezer newbie question as I just bought a 10 cf GE and will be building mine soon. Why the EvaDry? Are you fermenting in there too?

When you operate a freezer at temperatures higher than freezing there is a tendency for moisture to build up as condensation instead of frozen ice buildup so you need to control that and the Eva Dry does a good job. Without it you most likely will get standing water on the bottom of the keezer
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 03:52:20 pm »
The EvaDry does an OK job. I weighed the unit full and empty and the amount it absorbs is about 2.5 ounces of water. I don't have outside faucets, so I think my problem is worse than others since I need to open the freezer to pour a beer.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 04:57:21 pm »
Thanks on the Eva Dry, seems obvious now that you spelled it out for me.

Steve, if you don't mind ,how do you have both fans connected to the green terminal adaptor?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 05:16:35 pm »
I cut off the existing computer connectors, stripped the wires and stuck them in there. The terminal connector is nice in how it clamps down on the wires. Most of the time they have a plate that moves along a screw, these work more like a lever and hold very well. I thought about soldering the two wires together but twisting seemed to do the trick.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 05:29:47 pm »
Nice build. That's a pretty solid idea.
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 11:09:49 pm »
Great info Steve, thanks. Should help when it comes time to get my keezer pieced together.