Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Advice for a Newbie  (Read 4936 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Advice for a Newbie
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2015, 01:09:53 pm »
Anyone who cannot perform all of the calculations required to formulate a recipe and operate a brew house without the aid of software is not a brewer. Learning these calculations are part and parcel of learning to become a brewer.  Brew house calculations are brewing fundamentals much in the way that calculus and differential equations are part of an engineer's fundamentals.
Mark, I love you passion, but this is elitist bull crap.

Like many things Mark advocates, what's right for him may not be right for other people....like you and me!
Then I'm in good company

I don't disagree with the idea that brewers ought to strive for better understanding of the process. But you're not a brewer unless... ? I called elitist bull crap because I'm just trying to help Mark not throw out the petite mutants with the surfactant.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2015, 01:12:34 pm »
Anyone who cannot perform all of the calculations required to formulate a recipe and operate a brew house without the aid of software is not a brewer. Learning these calculations are part and parcel of learning to become a brewer.  Brew house calculations are brewing fundamentals much in the way that calculus and differential equations are part of an engineer's fundamentals.
Mark, I love you passion, but this is elitist bull crap.

Like many things Mark advocates, what's right for him may not be right for other people....like you and me!
Then I'm in good company

I don't disagree with the idea that brewers ought to strive for better understanding of the process. But you're not a brewer unless... ? I called elitist bull crap because I'm just trying to help Mark not throw out the petite mutants with the surfactant.

If I was to take Mark's statement at face value, then I'm not a brewer.  A bit like the people who say that using a Zymatic is not brewing...says who?  Who's making the rules?  Who's keeping score?  As I've said before, this is HOMEbrewing and we each get to define what means for us.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2015, 01:14:18 pm »
I did calculations long enough not to miss them when the good software came out. Same reason I can live with myself just fine if I use a Casio calculator. I think knowing how to do the calculations first is a good thing, but I work a lot and have kids - bring on the software.   ;)
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Advice for a Newbie
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2015, 01:19:11 pm »
Zymatic is to brewing what a washer and dryer are to laundry.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:00:25 pm by Steve in TX »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 02:46:22 pm »
Zymatic is to brewing what a washer and dry are to laundry.

THIS^^^^^  I'm gonna steal that quote!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 03:32:49 pm »

You don't go down to the creek and beat the clothes between rocks? My grandmother heated the water to do laundry on a wood cook stove, had tubs to wash in, then a hand cranked wringer that the clothes were run through before the clothes line to dry.

Today we discuss front load vs top load.  ;)

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2015, 08:32:48 pm »

Denny, just make sure you give credit where credit is due.  Ben Franklin said it first! ;D

From my point of view, here's the thing.  I don't want to be an ENGINEER, I don't even want to be a BREWER.  I'm retired.  I'm math challenged.  Hell, I threw cases for most of my working career.  I just want to be a HOMEBREWER.  And if I need software to get the job done, what do you care?  It's not like I'm going to share my beer with anyone else. ;)
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Offline Jeffinn

• Cellarman
  • Roseville, MI
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2015, 08:40:55 pm »

Denny, just make sure you give credit where credit is due.  Ben Franklin said it first! ;D

From my point of view, here's the thing.  I don't want to be an ENGINEER, I don't even want to be a BREWER.  I'm retired.  I'm math challenged.  Hell, I threw cases for most of my working career.  I just want to be a HOMEBREWER.  And if I need software to get the job done, what do you care?  It's not like I'm going to share my beer with anyone else. ;)

Well Said!
“I’ve never been drunk, but often I’ve been overserved.”
~ George Gobel

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2015, 08:51:37 pm »

+1, I like it!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2015, 08:10:14 am »
Great points by all. Love my software and makes it all simplified for me. I agree that the access to info online makes for learning brewing so much easier. I didn't like extract and moved into all grain quickly- greatly and by this forum, software, and online reading/learning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale