Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Zwickelbier  (Read 2261 times)

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
Zwickelbier
« on: October 19, 2015, 04:04:45 am »
Im wanting to do a Zwickel style beer but I can't seem to find a recipe here on the site. I was hoping one of you out there had a recipe that you could help me with. I am going to do a partial mash and plan to keg after fermentation. I have read that zwickels have a short shelf life and was curious what that was and if I needed to worry about it if I kegged the brew.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Zwickelbier
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 07:35:39 am »
I think the key is to carb it up quickly and start drinking it. As far as I understand it is basically a young Helles so it sounds like you just need a good Helles recipe? I believe there is a recent thread discussing Helles.

"Most Pale Kellerbiers are young, unfiltered, unpasteurized versions of Munich Helles beer, although Pils or
a different, custom golden lager beer designed specifically for serving young could also be used. The best examples are served only on tap at many of the Munich area breweries. Bottled versions are not likely to have the freshness, hop character and young beer notes exhibited by the draft versions. Also some times called Zwickelbier, after the name of the tap used to sample from a lagering tank"
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale