Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Go Canucks!  (Read 2096 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Go Canucks!
« on: October 16, 2015, 09:48:13 pm »
After about a 5 year hiatus from all professional sports (too much gangsta bull snot!) I have taken up Hockey. Center Ice pack and all. What a cool sport!

Beer related, tonights game is televised out of St Louis. Whats with red necks in lederhosen sing the rhineheistgebot song?

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Go Canucks!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 05:25:14 am »
I love hockey.   Blackhawks fan here.  Will be at a Blues Blackhawks game in November.   By the way a pale ale at the stadium is $10.   

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 06:52:56 am »
I went to a WHL Winter Hawks game years ago and had a ball, but I never got around to following the sport. Its never on regular tv around here until the Stanley finals. No one I knew knew anything about the sport. I have a buddy at work who played in the OHL years ago, so hes a fan and watches 50 games a year, always talking about it... so this year I dove in.

Compared to other pro sports there's a lot to like and not much to dislike. Generally the culture is significantly different. More respectful of themselves. I dig the rivalries, especially with the Canucks. Its a tuff game where you dont have so much lopsided teams. Really just about anyone can win, but its not necessarily a coin toss either. Look at football, short season,  one team has gone undefeated and I think several have lost only 1 or 2 games in a single season.  Hockey plays a ton of games and there has never been, will never be, an undefeated team. The record winning streak is 17 games, record losing streak is only 17 games too.

Also in hockey dont have news stories every week of some thug millionaire getting doped up and beating up his hookers, or crashing his Lambourgini into a cop car, or refusing to show up because he feels he needs ten million more... disgusting!

Yea hockey!

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 07:33:39 am »
I love hockey.   Blackhawks fan here.  Will be at a Blues Blackhawks game in November.   By the way a pale ale at the stadium is $10.

My grandson plays hockey. That goes without saying since he lives in Chicago. Anytime we visit, my step-son and I go with him to a hockey game (baseball, if hockey isn't in season).

Fan is short for fanatic, and no one is more fanatic about hockey than the rabid Blackhawks fans. (Meant in a good way.)
Ralph R.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 07:45:15 am »

Also in hockey dont have news stories every week of some thug millionaire getting doped up and beating up his hookers, or crashing his Lambourgini into a cop car, or refusing to show up because he feels he needs ten million more... disgusting!

Yea hockey!

I'm a hockey fan, but I am taking this year off because of the behavior of some hockey players and teams. Scratch the surface of any major league and you will find something disgusting.

Kyle M.

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 08:11:28 am »
If you can make it, the Thunderbirds-Winter Hawks game is usually a great one.  Of course there aren't too many things Portland v Seattle that don't get intense. 
Run then beer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 07:24:43 pm »
If you can make it, the Thunderbirds-Winter Hawks game is usually a great one.  Of course there aren't too many things Portland v Seattle that don't get intense.
I looked at the WH schedule a while back. They have one home game this year which I am not working that day. Its in November is all I remember. I will check again when it gets closer

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 10:15:26 pm »
Hockey is a blast Jim. Big Pens fan here, no local team and been a fan since before there was a team in Columbus. Great action,  fast paced game. Players bleed, break bones, lose teeth, and still play on. Unlike some supposed basketball star who tweaked an ankle and need to be carried off the court, not very Kingly!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 10:42:51 pm »
Hockey is a blast Jim. Big Pens fan here, no local team and been a fan since before there was a team in Columbus. Great action,  fast paced game. Players bleed, break bones, lose teeth, and still play on. Unlike some supposed basketball star who tweaked an ankle and need to be carried off the court, not very Kingly!
Awesome. I enjoy hating on the Ducks, but nothing cures that better than beating them in their first home game of the season. I think to be a true Johnny Canuck you have to hate any team with their name on the cup. Maybe that will change one day. I enjoy that if you really "get" hockey, you actually respect all the teams, you just dont admit it of course.

There's a lot of cool stuff about the sport. I like that it does a good job of reminding us that Canada is in America too. I like that The Canadiens have so few Canadians on the team. I like that every 60ish year old Bostonian I know  looks just like Bobby Orr. I like that an NHL hockey team can be in a movie about hockey and none of them even have any lines. It goes on and on...

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 07:59:13 pm »
This just in... I hate blackout games. Guess I'll watch Colorado beat LA

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 08:17:39 pm »
Right there with you Jim. Like I said, I'm a penguins fan. They get a lot of National exposure, and often their games are blacked out here in SE Indiana / Cincinnati and we are about 6 hours away at least! Televised everywhere but here, why, no NHL team here and closest is not them. Mind boggling
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 08:29:30 pm »
I need to figure out how they choose which games to blackout.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 08:46:28 pm »
I went to a WHL Winter Hawks game years ago and had a ball, but I never got around to following the sport. Its never on regular tv around here until the Stanley finals. No one I knew knew anything about the sport. I have a buddy at work who played in the OHL years ago, so hes a fan and watches 50 games a year, always talking about it... so this year I dove in.

Compared to other pro sports there's a lot to like and not much to dislike. Generally the culture is significantly different. More respectful of themselves. I dig the rivalries, especially with the Canucks. Its a tuff game where you dont have so much lopsided teams. Really just about anyone can win, but its not necessarily a coin toss either. Look at football, short season,  one team has gone undefeated and I think several have lost only 1 or 2 games in a single season.  Hockey plays a ton of games and there has never been, will never be, an undefeated team. The record winning streak is 17 games, record losing streak is only 17 games too.

Yea hockey!
B.S., hockey players are totally engaged in the same stuff at the same or more rates. Its just not played up as much for some reason...
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Go Canucks!
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 09:04:13 pm »
I may be newbie oblivious.  Agreed that hockey isnt full of perfect angels, but it seems to not be as cool to be bad.

Wiki shows > 40 NFL football players convicted but NHL is only 9. 9 too many by the way
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:14:00 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 09:13:30 pm »
I may be newbie oblivious.  Agreed that hockey isnt full of perfect angels, but it seems to not be as cool to be bad.

Wiki shows > 40 NFL football players convicted but NHL is only 9.
um, being the bad guy on the team is kind of a thing.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.