Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I need a good GPS app for Android  (Read 1359 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
I need a good GPS app for Android
« on: October 15, 2015, 06:02:57 pm »
My two favorite things to do are brewing by myself and rockhunting with my wife.  So I got us a book of GPS coordinates of old mines we can collect at, now I need a good app for my Android phone to use the data in the book.  Does anybody have any recommendations?
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: I need a good GPS app for Android
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 06:29:21 pm »
I use AlpineQuest for hunting. I haven't really used it heavily, but it does what I need it to do. It can run offline if you cache or download maps in advance. It can also attach pictures to waypoints. I'm not exactly a GPS power user, so there may be more there as well.

The interface isn't the most intuitive to me, but I'm able to trudge through OK for marking sign, trails, stand locations, etc.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 06:00:33 am »
much more expensive, but you'd probably be safer with a garmin or something similar... especially if you're headed to the boonies.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 06:50:02 am »
much more expensive, but you'd probably be safer with a garmin or something similar... especially if you're headed to the boonies.
Any suggestions on a good one?
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 07:40:34 am »
This thing looks pretty cool:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/gpsmap-64/prod140020.html

There are more expensive ones of course:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cIntoSports-c10340-p1.html

I personally use my cycling computer (which has maps) so can't speak to any of those exact products.  But I've been pretty happy with Garmin products and customer support for the most part.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 08:52:53 am »
My two favorite things to do are brewing by myself and rockhunting with my wife.  So I got us a book of GPS coordinates of old mines we can collect at, now I need a good app for my Android phone to use the data in the book.  Does anybody have any recommendations?

I never thought of this but this would be a good way to mark a spot where I find mushrooms so I can find it again later. Also, mushroom hunting requires a lot of walking around in circles focused on the ground in front of you so I do get turned around and temporarily lost on cloudy days occasionally.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 08:55:20 am »
Personally, if heading out into the boonies I prefer a simpler, lighter GPS. I've got one of these:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/wrist-worn/foretrex-401/prod30026.html

IMO, a GPS should always be accompanied by a map. That way if it malfunctions or the batteries die you're still left with a backup plan. A simple "GPS-only" GPS tends to be lighter and cheaper. I use that particular GPS for hunting, backpacking and cycling. If you buy the cycling kit for it it works well as a cycling computer, also has a wireless heart rate monitor you can buy.

When hunting/backpacking, I usually run with my phone off, saving it for emergency use only. If I get stuck in my treestand and my phone is dead from using it as a GPS...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 08:05:49 am »
Personally, if heading out into the boonies I prefer a simpler, lighter GPS. I've got one of these:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/wrist-worn/foretrex-401/prod30026.html

IMO, a GPS should always be accompanied by a map. That way if it malfunctions or the batteries die you're still left with a backup plan. A simple "GPS-only" GPS tends to be lighter and cheaper. I use that particular GPS for hunting, backpacking and cycling. If you buy the cycling kit for it it works well as a cycling computer, also has a wireless heart rate monitor you can buy.

When hunting/backpacking, I usually run with my phone off, saving it for emergency use only. If I get stuck in my treestand and my phone is dead from using it as a GPS...

Nice, thanks for that input... Worth mentioning that this one doesn't have actual maps, but a "dotted trail on the screen".  This WOULD actually be enough to get back to your path if you got lost (I admit I've used it on my Forerunner). Now you've got a couple good options, Corky.