Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ginger Tripel  (Read 1188 times)

Offline danmages

• Cellarman
Ginger Tripel
« on: October 17, 2015, 08:28:24 am »
I am planning on brewing a tripel next week using ginger grown in a local greenhouse. The ginger is sweet, floral and juicy. How does this look as a recipe.

12 lbs pilsner malt
2.5 lbs raw sugar

Mash at 148, boil for 90 minutes

.6 oz magnum hops 60 minutes
.4 oz each of tettnanger and saaz at 15 minutes
2 oz fresh ginger, crushed 10 minutes
.4 oz each of tettnanger and saaz at flame out

Ferment with trappist high gravity yeast. Abbey yeast will be the back up.

Ferment at 75f.

Thoughts? I have not brewed with ginger before. It's this the right amount and timing?

Dan

RPIScotty

Re: Ginger Tripel
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 09:21:58 am »
I would ferment lower.

Sent via Tapatalk

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Ginger Tripel
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 09:54:25 am »
I'd edge more towards flameout with ginger and steep a bit before cooling. Never done it myself, but that's where I would start. Also the amount seems pretty high. Again I have no experience, it's just what I know from using ginger in cooking. 1 TBS is a normal amount for a curry and is certainly noticeable.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 09:56:05 am by Steve in TX »

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Ginger Tripel
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 01:26:16 pm »
I'd edge more towards flameout with ginger and steep a bit before cooling. Never done it myself, but that's where I would start. Also the amount seems pretty high. Again I have no experience, it's just what I know from using ginger in cooking. 1 TBS is a normal amount for a curry and is certainly noticeable.

+1 to both accounts.  Start your fermentation around 64F or so and let it rise to low-mid 70's by the end of one week.  This will give you health attenuation and proper ester/phenol balance. 

And yes, I think 2 oz of fresh ginger is quite a bit. Be sure to peel it to remove the "woody" outer layer first as this can taste pretty rough in your beer (not what you want at all).  I would maybe start with 1 oz closer to flameout as well to keep some of those volatile ginger aromas in your beer.