Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vent much?  (Read 3744 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Vent much?
« on: October 18, 2015, 06:44:34 pm »
Is there a Crappy Hunting For Dummies book? I have confronted too many trespassing hunters and keep getting the same routine. To get to where you are you had to drive past 6 No Trespassing No Hunting signs! Well... I was just looking around. Bull! You just proved that you are willing to go to jail, but I'm supposed to believe that you wouldn't go and add poaching to it? NO! You sir are a criminal and you are making everyone else bad. The last one told me Hey now, im a veteran.  I said so am I. Apparently your service didn't teach you anything.

Unbelievable!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Vent much?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 07:21:06 pm »
Sounds like you are very reasonable about the whole situation and give the trespassers plenty of warning. Let's just hope the other guys remain reasonable as well.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:39:09 pm by Steve in TX »

narvin

Re: Vent much?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 07:23:32 pm »
Shoot 'em and stick a deer antler hat on the corpse.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:27:35 pm »
Way to stand your ground. The guy playing the veteran card there is lame. Hope he gets busted.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 07:35:25 pm »
I'll leave what I do for a living out of it, but just past the last two signs is a "black and white" final warning. If they ignore that they get the greeting and ass chewing.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:41:06 pm by klickitat jim »

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 07:39:53 pm »
Shoot 'em and stick a deer antler hat on the corpse.
Sheesh, and I thought I was going too far dropping the F-bomb

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 08:41:57 pm »
Same problem here. No problem with hunters per se but drunk, littering, stranger with a gun in my backyard, no thanks! i feel bad for good hunters, I think its a better moral choice than buying meat in the supermarket, but sorry, there's a 100 bad hunters out there for every good one.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 08:46:19 pm »
Yeah I'm not sure how trespassing on someone's land to shoot a deer is very fun
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 09:00:36 pm »
The last one told me Hey now, im a veteran.  I said so am I. Apparently your service didn't teach you anything.

As a military veteran, I get upset when other veterans play the veteran card in an attempt to receive special treatment.  It makes us all look bad.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 05:41:21 am »
I live basically surrounded by thousands of acres of hunt club land and absolutely HATE hating season. Too many fat, red neck ass holes on four wheelers that think they are "outdoorsmen" because the ride their fat asses to a tree stand and sit and throw beer cans in the woods while waiting to shoot a deer they have most likely baited. Thankfully though they very rarely trespass on my property because you actually have to WALK to travel most of my property.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 08:02:02 am »
If you want to stop trespassing on your land, lease the rights to a hunter. They will do everything in their power to keep anyone else off the property. My father has used this tactic for years and it has worked like a charm. The hunter gets to hunt and basically you know exactly who is on the property and they keep everyone else off.

Back to hunting for a moment (bear with me, I'll get there).

When I was a kid we barely ever saw a deer in our county. Now my parents report seeing them on a daily basis. In 2006 I was in the local DOT office and they had a running count of the number of deer they had picket up on the highway. At that time the population of the county was less than 30,000 people and they had picked up almost 500 deer who lost a battle with a car. That does not count all those the people hit and took with them. That is one county out of 100 so assuming even half that number are picked up in other counties that would be 25,000 deer hit by cars in NC per year. The DOT put out a press release in 2011 indicating 20K+ animal/car interactions so I'm not far off.

For the 2013-2014 NC deer season the harvest was 153,629. Now if you look at 1976, when we hardly saw a deer, the harvest numbers were 123,312. The point being the deer numbers in NC are growing at a much faster rate then the harvest and we actually need more hunters to manage the population. I saw four the other night coming home in a developed area which could have caused some major injuries had they ran into traffic since the road was two lanes in either direction with no shoulders and narrow lanes. We actually need more people to hunt to reduce the number of accidents. (Full disclosure - I don't hunt, I don't like cleaning the animal.)

Hope you find a solution to keep unwanted people off your property, but I suggest you secure a hunter and let them do it for you. ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 08:04:51 am »
This is why I hate being stuck hunting public land out my way. There are just too many idiots out there. I was actually told once by another hunter that the hunting was lousy at a particular spot because "there weren't enough people in the woods today". That scares the everloving bejeezus out of me, because a lot of them are morons that will shoot the first thing that moves or won't be sure of what is beyond their target.

I end up taking a vacation and driving 5 hours to the big woods of Northern NH to hunt. There are just as many idiot hunters by percentage, but a lot less per square mile.

If it's any consolation, most new hunters that I've met seem to have their heads about them and have a lot more respect for the sport and property. Hopefully that will mean that once the idiots start to hang it up you will have less issues with inconsiderate, disrespectful idiots.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 08:04:56 am »
Yeah it seems to me that hunting anymore is actually not about hunting as much as it getting away with the guys in the woods with toys to let loose for a few days.  I used to hunt, but it is just too crowded out there and too regulated.  It is too bad.  It can be a great bonding experience for family & friends.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 08:26:01 am »
This is why I hate being stuck hunting public land

+1. I've given up on deer hunting till I can (hopefully, someday) have a few acres of my own, or hunting rights on private land.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 08:47:29 am »
Hunting in Missouri was ruined a few years ago when they caved in and implemented a 7 point rule - takes the fun right out of it. Plus I prefer to hunt with iron sights - very aggravating. You can't shoot a buck because you can't count points at 75 yards, and you can't use binoculars because he'll be long gone when you go to shoot him. ::)

On trespassing, it's a $500 fine here even if you kill a deer (animals are property of the state). As a friend once said, "heck that's cheaper than leasing"  ;D ;D ;D

I don't get out deer hunting very much anymore. I hurt my back 6 years ago and need assistance dragging deer. So it's pretty much just rifle hunting with family for me.
I am able to go fishing and small game hunting all I want though. I think in the future I'm just going to buck up and pay for out of state guide service.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 08:50:37 am by curtism1234 »