Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ukulele Mods  (Read 2700 times)

S. cerevisiae

Re: Ukulele Mods
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 10:25:21 pm »
I can take Americana in small bites.  I used to play mainstream rock in my teens, twenties, and thirties, but found myself playing more of a fusion rock, blues, and jazz in my forties.  Today, my guitars spend significantly more time in their cases than they do being played.  I need to pick my guitars back up, but I would have to go through rebuilding my calluses.

RPIScotty

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 04:39:08 am »
I need to pick my guitars back up, but I would have to go through rebuilding my calluses.

I used to go through periods when I wouldn't play and then try to get right back into playing 11 gauge strings. I started just stringing with 9 gauge again and just keep it that way. Makes coming back a bit easier after long spells away. Pure Nickel strings help out a bit too, as they are a bit slinkier and keep their tone afters long droughts.

I can take Americana in small bites.

I'm actually a big fan of pre-war blues musicians such as Frank Stokes, Lonnie Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, etc. There is a real lo-fi magic to those old recordings and the technique is pretty dazzling. I also like the Jazz singers and musicians from that era too. Some of those standards, "Dream a Little Dream of Me" and the like are pretty intoxicating.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:42:13 am by RPIScotty »

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 04:44:35 am »
I used to go through periods when I wouldn't play and then try to get right back into playing 11 gauge strings. I started just stringing with 9 gauge again and just keep it that way. Makes coming back a bit easier after long spells away. Pure Nickel strings help out a bit too, as they are a bit slinkier and keep their tone afters long droughts.

I've tried 9-gauge strings on my guitars, and can't stand them. With work/school I'll typically go months without playing, but I just can't give in to playing on 9's. I just have to stick it out and get the callouses back, I much prefer the snap/tension of the heavier gauge strings.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

RPIScotty

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 04:50:54 am »
I've tried 9-gauge strings on my guitars, and can't stand them. With work/school I'll typically go months without playing, but I just can't give in to playing on 9's. I just have to stick it out and get the callouses back, I much prefer the snap/tension of the heavier gauge strings.

Have you played Nickel strings? If you like big strings, you can often get away with a gauge higher than normal with the nickel, round wound strings. They are a bit mellower and last longer.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 07:07:57 am »
I haven't. I'm interested in trying them and a few other strings types, but I'm still working off a big pack of D'Addario .10's that I bought years ago. I play so infrequently I usually just deal with the old strings.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 08:58:36 pm »
I like 9's for standard or Eb tunings on most of my guitars, but my main guitar is a Les Paul tuned to C#. I have 10-52's on that one or else everything sounds like mud. But it's still low and soft enough that calluses are never an issue when I randomly pick up the guitar and start playing.

Bass, on the other hand, is a b**** without proper callouses, particularly on my right hand. When friends want to jam, I am usually appointed bass player. If I haven't played in a while I inevitably end up with blisters on me fingers.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

RPIScotty

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2015, 04:32:22 pm »
Got the Uke tuned up today. Sounds pretty good for a $20 instrument. Contemplating crafting a new bridge and using a bone nut and saddle. Should cost more than $10. Tuners are crappy but hold tun pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 11:10:00 am »
I'm looking to improve the playability of my cheap ukulele. So far I've given it a fairly decent setup (dressed bridge and nut slots). Looking for a solid, cheap set of tuners, maybe craft a new bridge and get some new strings.

Any players out there with suggestions?

Yeah, get a better uke!  Seriously.  I went through a similar thought process recently and decided it was only a little more $$ to get a new one rather than throw good money on one that still wouldn't be all that great.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

RPIScotty

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 02:06:43 pm »

I'm looking to improve the playability of my cheap ukulele. So far I've given it a fairly decent setup (dressed bridge and nut slots). Looking for a solid, cheap set of tuners, maybe craft a new bridge and get some new strings.

Any players out there with suggestions?

Yeah, get a better uke!  Seriously.  I went through a similar thought process recently and decided it was only a little more $$ to get a new one rather than throw good money on one that still wouldn't be all that great.

That's what a figured and it really isn't much more money to get an infinitely better uke.

That being said, this $20 Stagg AG's well after some fret dressing, nut filing and saddle work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk