Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Vent much?  (Read 3761 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Vent much?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 09:03:21 am »
To be clear, I hunt. And I have no problem enforcing the trespassing. The point I was aiming at is that if you commit a crime, you are now a criminal. What makes a criminal think that anyone will believe their story that they are only capable of committing just that one little crime... just to look around. Look for what? The next opportunity to commit another crime, thats what. Attention trespassers: we don't beleive you. Expect to meet a land owner who assumes you are there to steal his crap and rape his daughter.  Dont expect us to believe a single word you say.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 10:39:32 am »
I live in 14 acres of woodland.  No Hunting/No Trespassing signs everywhere.  Yet every hunting season, hunters stop by and ask if they can hunt.  I appreciate them at least asking, but can't they read?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 01:01:06 pm »
One aspect I left out... my driveway should test positive for BMC because every one of them had open containers in the center console cup holders. Dump em out boys!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 01:40:45 pm »
Man, you guys all live where the slob hunters rule.  I used to hunt when I was younger.  The only time that I had to deal with slob hunters was during rifle season.  Slobs are too lazy to hunt with a bow or a black powder weapon. 

One of the reasons why the deer population is exploding is because we are opening up previously forested areas of the country.  Deer are edge cover animals, that is, they prefer the transition zone between open land and forest. More edge cover translates to more deer.   Replacing a part of a forest with a subdivision with all of its tasty vegetation is like planting a food plot where the deer do not have to fear the residents. 

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 07:06:18 pm »
I added a provision to my farmland rental lease agreement that states no hunting on my property.  I'm mostly concerned with people safety as there has been multiple close calls in the last 5 years.  My hometown local hunting club runs dogs and sit in the truck and wait for the poor deer to peek out of the woods.  It's never seemed quite sportsman like to me... I do miss bow hunting, being outdoors in the cold crisp air for hours, only to have that buck stay just out of range...
-Tony

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 08:50:11 am »
Hound hunting has its place in very large tracks of woods (tens of thousands of acres) where deer population is not that great. Otherwise you can sit daylight to sunset for a week and never see a deer :o
The problem is you have the hoosiers that turn their dogs loose on their 100 acres and the dogs will come back home sometime next week.  ::) ::) ::)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 08:54:45 am »
Man, you guys all live where the slob hunters rule.  I used to hunt when I was younger.  The only time that I had to deal with slob hunters was during rifle season.  Slobs are too lazy to hunt with a bow or a black powder weapon. 

My experience agrees with your sentiments.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 09:04:32 am »

One of the reasons why the deer population is exploding is because we are opening up previously forested areas of the country.  Deer are edge cover animals, that is, they prefer the transition zone between open land and forest. More edge cover translates to more deer.   Replacing a part of a forest with a subdivision with all of its tasty vegetation is like planting a food plot where the deer do not have to fear the residents.
Where I grew up, it is still farm land for the most part. No deer when I was a boy. Deer are all over now.

What changed? I used to see farmers in their fields or mending fences (often there was a rifle or shotgun on the tractor). Now you don't see anyone. The small family farms are a thing of the past. The land is leased to the big outfits that farm 1000s of acres, and they plan, spray pesticide, and harvest. No pressure from humans.

Over the same time coyotes have moved into areas that were never their territory. No pressure from humans, and lots of food.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 09:11:52 am »
If the buck that has been working out on my trees comes back this year, he and I are going to have come to Jesus meeting. :) 

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 09:12:31 am »

Where I grew up, it is still farm land for the most part. No deer when I was a boy. Deer are all over now.

What changed? I used to see farmers in their fields or mending fences (often there was a rifle or shotgun on the tractor). Now you don't see anyone. The small family farms are a thing of the past. The land is leased to the big outfits that farm 1000s of acres, and they plan, spray pesticide, and harvest. No pressure from humans.

Over the same time coyotes have moved into areas that were never their territory. No pressure from humans, and lots of food.
Its kind of the opposite here. Because of the interest in local and sustainable food, a small family farm can actually make a decent living, and since New England hasn't been heavily farmed in the last 100 years the soil is not contaminated by pesticides, herbicides, and chemical fertilizers so organic farming, which has a good return, is an obvious choice. That being said, deer population doesn't seem to be a problem mainly because the pressure that our long winters put on the food supply. We also have a lot of coyotes.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 09:16:01 am »

Changing in farming practices have changed quite bit, resulting a in decline of several species.  Bobwhite quail and pheasant come to mind (although, pheasant are not native to this country).  Bobwhites used to be everywhere where I was a kid.  I rarely encounter quail these days.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 09:17:26 am »

Its kind of the opposite here. Because of the interest in local and sustainable food, a small family farm can actually make a decent living, and since New England hasn't been heavily farmed in the last 100 years the soil is not contaminated by pesticides, herbicides, and chemical fertilizers so organic farming, which has a good return, is an obvious choice. That being said, deer population doesn't seem to be a problem mainly because the pressure that our long winters put on the food supply. We also have a lot of coyotes.
The deer population is down in MI due to the 2 brutal winters we had.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 11:07:47 am »
The deer population in Missouri is way down because of all the unlimited tags we've sold in recent years. In theory I don't have a problem with someone giving away deer meat, but shooting an extra 6 is insane. Likewise, I don't have a problem with donating food to the hungry. However when you showup with a trailer full deer to dump off, that's not responsible.

Many of the deer killed in this state are done so for the thrill of it, not to have a reasonable amount of meat in your own freezer.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 11:12:07 am »
I've never understood sport hunting. At least with catch and release fishing, the fish gets away only slightly harmed.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 12:04:59 pm »
I've never understood sport hunting. At least with catch and release fishing, the fish gets away only slightly harmed.
Actually I don't understand catch and release fishing. If its not for food, why put an animal through that?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.