Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How Does YOUR Lager Smell Before Lagering?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
How Does YOUR Lager Smell Before Lagering?
« on: October 19, 2015, 02:12:30 pm »
Was asked this question by a newer Brewer and to be honest I've had ones that I could drink right away to ones that were fruity or sulfury at kegging and I thought destined to be dumpers only to have them become wonderful beers 6-7 weeks later.

So what is your experiences?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: How Does YOUR Lager Smell Before Lagering?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 03:16:16 pm »
Pulled a 12 oz. gravity sample from a week old rye pils today.  Chilling and carbing as I type, but it smelled fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 03:43:31 pm »
I sometimes get slight sulfur from 2124 and 2308 that dissipates in a week or two at most. Not much sulfur from 2206 most times. I agree that 833 seems good to go quickly. A lot of times these other strains taste ready to rock after FG.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 04:05:43 pm »
I think that any yeast, protein, or other particulates still in suspension mask the malt and hop flavors.

I agree, but do you think it speeds this process up to clean up with gelatin ?  I do to a good extent. Some lagers obviously taste better with time (stronger ones especially), but I think cleaning up with gelatin shortens the time frame on average OG beers.
Jon H.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 04:45:54 pm »
I think that any yeast, protein, or other particulates still in suspension mask the malt and hop flavors.

I agree, but do you think it speeds this process up to clean up with gelatin ?  I do to a good extent. Some lagers obviously taste better with time (stronger ones especially), but I think cleaning up with gelatin shortens the time frame on average OG beers.
I agree with this.  A lot of the "green" flavors from a lager come from yeast in suspension.  Dropping it out with finings hastens the transition.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 12:16:47 pm »
Agree with the yeast being in suspension part. I think lagering is the same thing, but a more natural process. I've had beers that I'm not sure about when I sample before they clear, but once they clear they're fantastic. I had an oktoberfest last year that was perfect after a week of fermentation. I kegged it, lagered for a few weeks and it was amazing. I need to figure out what I did right on that batch and do it every time! So many variables at play...
Jesse

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 04:34:42 am »
I just racked a Pilsner last night that could be drank today, if it were carbed.  Brewed it on 9-28.  Just did Marshall's temp schedule and the hydrometer sample was super - no green flavor, smell, or aftertaste, and clear as a bell with no finings, so it was perhaps the yeast (34/70), or the ferment temp schedule. BTW, it was a 45 minute mash, 45 minute boil with mostly Pilsner based malt.  Carbing as I write this and I expect to sample it before the weekend.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 06:52:07 am »
I won't start crashing/layering until it smells fine, which usually only takes 7-10 days. Kegged some Helles yesterday, could have drank a pint!

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 09:34:02 am »
Do you think there's any difference When you force carb (before or after lagering)?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 10:32:44 am »
Do you think there's any difference When you force carb (before or after lagering)?
Zero difference, in my opinion. Just like zero difference in crashing slowly versus crashing quickly.
Jesse