Author Topic: How Does YOUR Lager Smell Before Lagering?  (Read 628 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
How Does YOUR Lager Smell Before Lagering?
« on: October 19, 2015, 08:12:30 PM »
Was asked this question by a newer Brewer and to be honest I've had ones that I could drink right away to ones that were fruity or sulfury at kegging and I thought destined to be dumpers only to have them become wonderful beers 6-7 weeks later.

So what is your experiences?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: How Does YOUR Lager Smell Before Lagering?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 09:16:16 PM »
Pulled a 12 oz. gravity sample from a week old rye pils today.  Chilling and carbing as I type, but it smelled fine.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 09:43:31 PM »
I sometimes get slight sulfur from 2124 and 2308 that dissipates in a week or two at most. Not much sulfur from 2206 most times. I agree that 833 seems good to go quickly. A lot of times these other strains taste ready to rock after FG.
Jon H.

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 10:05:43 PM »
I think that any yeast, protein, or other particulates still in suspension mask the malt and hop flavors.

I agree, but do you think it speeds this process up to clean up with gelatin ?  I do to a good extent. Some lagers obviously taste better with time (stronger ones especially), but I think cleaning up with gelatin shortens the time frame on average OG beers.
Jon H.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 10:45:54 PM »
I think that any yeast, protein, or other particulates still in suspension mask the malt and hop flavors.

I agree, but do you think it speeds this process up to clean up with gelatin ?  I do to a good extent. Some lagers obviously taste better with time (stronger ones especially), but I think cleaning up with gelatin shortens the time frame on average OG beers.
I agree with this.  A lot of the "green" flavors from a lager come from yeast in suspension.  Dropping it out with finings hastens the transition.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline beersk

• In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 06:16:47 PM »
Agree with the yeast being in suspension part. I think lagering is the same thing, but a more natural process. I've had beers that I'm not sure about when I sample before they clear, but once they clear they're fantastic. I had an oktoberfest last year that was perfect after a week of fermentation. I kegged it, lagered for a few weeks and it was amazing. I need to figure out what I did right on that batch and do it every time! So many variables at play...
die Schönheit der bier...

Jesse

Offline ynotbrusum

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Da mihi sis cerevisiam.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 10:34:42 AM »
I just racked a Pilsner last night that could be drank today, if it were carbed.  Brewed it on 9-28.  Just did Marshall's temp schedule and the hydrometer sample was super - no green flavor, smell, or aftertaste, and clear as a bell with no finings, so it was perhaps the yeast (34/70), or the ferment temp schedule. BTW, it was a 45 minute mash, 45 minute boil with mostly Pilsner based malt.  Carbing as I write this and I expect to sample it before the weekend.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • View Profile
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 12:52:07 PM »
I won't start crashing/layering until it smells fine, which usually only takes 7-10 days. Kegged some Helles yesterday, could have drank a pint!

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 03:34:02 PM »
Do you think there's any difference When you force carb (before or after lagering)?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline beersk

• In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 04:32:44 PM »
Do you think there's any difference When you force carb (before or after lagering)?
Zero difference, in my opinion. Just like zero difference in crashing slowly versus crashing quickly.
die Schönheit der bier...

Jesse