Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quick disconnect faucet adapter for cornies  (Read 2135 times)

Offline RaiderRed

• 1st Kit
Quick disconnect faucet adapter for cornies
« on: October 06, 2015, 09:24:12 am »
Hi all, I'm taking several 2.5gal kegs to an o-fest party in a few weeks.  I have a few cobra taps however on a whim I bought one of the faucets which is connected right to a liquid disconnect.  (One of these http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Beer/Keg-Parts/Quick-Disconnect-Faucet-Assembly-Ball-Lock.html#.VhPlkssayK0 )

My question is in regards to carbonation.  Should I carb these beers up at the usual 6-8 psi (which I use for my keezer and 6" beer lines) and just purge the extra gas on beer day and serve at a really low pressure, say 2 psi?  Or should I just carb the kegs at 2psi and leave it for beer day?

The desired end state is that I am not serving cups of foam.  Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Quick disconnect faucet adapter for cornies
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 09:31:18 am »
Carb normal and serve with enough pressure to give you a good pour without foam.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:44:08 am »
I've heard that 2 psi is the right amount.  The ideal service pressure can vary based on your carbonation level and the temperature of the beer, which is likely to be warmer than the normal temp of your keezer.

Offline RaiderRed

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 10:42:04 am »
Thanks guys!  I'll carb as normal and then back the serving pressure all the way down.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 11:22:15 am »
I can't find a link to them right now, but you can also get mixing sticks for epoxy resin that will fit into the liquid dip-tube.  They create enough resistance that you can serve at your regular temperature.

You ought to be able to find a thread about them on here somewhere.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline RaiderRed

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 12:28:24 pm »
Hi Joe Sr.!  Reducing the id of the dip-tube.......fantastic idea.  I'll look for the thread.  Sadly I live in Uganda so my options may be limited but this is an interesting theme, thanks!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 12:41:58 pm »
I can't find a link to them right now, but you can also get mixing sticks for epoxy resin that will fit into the liquid dip-tube.  They create enough resistance that you can serve at your regular temperature.

You ought to be able to find a thread about them on here somewhere.

This is what you are talking about http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=100151.  I am beginning to using epoxy mixers in tubing exterior to the keg.  The problem with putting an epoxy mixer in your dip tube is that the keg won't work properly in your keezer until you remove the mixer or modify the keezer.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 01:45:32 pm »
I really like the idea of an Ofest party in Uganda. I missed the Oktoberfest Zinzinnati this year, this would be an awesome substitute. Dont think I can get a passport quick enough though  :o
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline RaiderRed

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 09:14:30 am »
If you pay the expedite fee I'll bet you can!  And tourists can get a visa at the airport so no delay there!

Offline RaiderRed

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 06:49:25 am »
Just wanted to report back as we had the party last night.  I carbed up the beer at the usual 7 or so psi that I serve at in the kegorator, and combined with the keg disconnect faucet adapter and hand pump had no issues with foam.  Thanks everyone!