Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wort Aeration - Pt. 3: Nothing vs. Pure Oxygen | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 16467 times)

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
Re: Wort Aeration - Pt. 3: Nothing vs. Pure Oxygen | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2015, 03:39:46 pm »
Yes a 3 hour delay isn't the end of the world. Any kind of headstart has got to be good though.

RPIScotty

« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2015, 05:00:26 pm »

I brewed a 7-gallon batch and split it between two fermentation vessels.  The first batch was pitched with the yeast from a fermented out and decanted 1.2L stirred starter.  The second batch was pitched with a non-decanted 600ml starter made with my method.  The batch pitched with the Shaken, not stirred culture started 3 hours before the batch with the stirred culture.

There are more variables than just stirring vs shaken in that setup, but even so I think you're right about shear stress and I like your low-tech shaken starter. I'm not sure I'll agree with you about aeration & diffusion, but as others have said, if it works then what's the problem.  :D

Not to mention that in terms of beer quality, a 3 hour difference in start time just doesn't matter.

He did list a few other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2015, 05:26:42 pm »
Not to mention that in terms of beer quality, a 3 hour difference in start time just doesn't matter.

However, the result is non-intuitive to those who have been conditioned to believe that absolute pitched cell count is everything.  There is more at play here than any of us can measure at home.  I have been looking for an excuse to purchase a DO meter.  It will probably see as about as much use as my microscope (a microscope is a waste of money for a home brewer).