Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aging beer  (Read 1253 times)

Offline f.stepanski

• 1st Kit
  • I'm a beer drinker with a woodturning problem
Aging beer
« on: October 20, 2015, 04:30:15 pm »
Greetings.   Have a question on aging, not necessarily lagering, though lagering is aging..  I've read through several threads and recipes that talk about aging various styles i.e. Brown Ale, a Pale Ale (Zombie Dust) that state you should age for x number of days..

Before my question I'd like to provide info on my process / setup.   First I keg my beer, after a thorough cleaning & rinsing I fill my keg with sanitiser, put the lid on then purge with CO2.  So the keg sits in storage with 10 PSI of CO2 until I'm ready to use it.  When I transfer the beer from fermenter I bleed off keg pressure, remove lid, fill with beer; then use a line to spray CO2 atop the beer; I install the lid, connect CO2 to the gas side then burp keg several times.  I put keg in my keezer, connect only the gas line, set at 12 or so PSI, depending on style.   After 5 days or so I'll connect the liquid side line and pull a beer.

I did notice the Zombie Dust clone I made tasted reached peak flavor about 2-3 weeks in the keg..  I don't know how much longer that wonderful taste would have hung around as I donated that beer to a club event & it all disappeared.

So when aging a beer
 - Should I allow it to remain at room temp?
 - Place in keezer?
 - If I place in keezer should I attach CO2 line, maybe at lower PSI setting?

Very much appreciate any throughs & ideas...

Thanks..

Prost!

Black IPA & Hefeweizen on draft, fermenting an APA...

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Aging beer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 05:16:43 pm »
After kegging my beers I almost always place the kegs directly into my storing fridge or serving chest freezer.  I feel that the lower temps (35F or so) allow the beer to keep its freshness for as long as possible.  If you have extra room I would recommend this.  After purging to seat the lid of the kegs properly, I usually leave the gas on about 25psi or so while I continue to clean up from the transfer.  After that, I disconnect and put into a fridge until I am ready to gas it up for serving.  Some go directly into my serving freezer if it is a hoppy beer or low gravity ale that is best consumed fresh. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:42:09 pm »
I don't consider what you are describing as ageing so much as conditioning. Many beers benefit from a few days of conditioning and while you are carbing in the keg in a cold place you are accomplishing that. If you want to age a beer I generally think it should be slightly warmer than a fridge, the 45-55 range works well I think. This allows chemical reactions to occur at a faster pace than in a fridge at ~33.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline f.stepanski

• 1st Kit
  • I'm a beer drinker with a woodturning problem
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 07:43:48 pm »
Thanks Gents..  morticaixavier I think your correction "conditioning" is more accurate than aging. 

So would it be best to chill & carb while conditioning or just chill without fully carbing?   
Black IPA & Hefeweizen on draft, fermenting an APA...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 08:58:17 pm »
Thanks Gents..  morticaixavier I think your correction "conditioning" is more accurate than aging. 

So would it be best to chill & carb while conditioning or just chill without fully carbing?
Carbonation does not interfere with the conditioning process. Might as well kill 2 birds with one stone and carb while cold-conditioning.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer