Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What is first wort hopping  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Koehler

• 1st Kit
  • RDWHAHB
What is first wort hopping
« on: October 21, 2015, 07:47:45 am »
I have been brewing for at least two years, but I have not heard of FWH. The brewing circle in my immediate area is very small, by small I mean me and one other guy. Any insight would be great.
Thanks in advance
-Koehler
Fermenting: Amber Ale

On Tap: Brown Ale

Next to Brew: Octoberfest

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: What is first wort hopping
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 07:53:45 am »
This is adding hops to your boil kettle during the mash runoff and they remain in kettle throughout the boil
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

What is first wort hopping
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 07:53:52 am »
FWH is adding the bittering addition while sparging. It is said to add a mellower bitterness and contributes flavor of a 20 min addition.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/03/17/the-first-wort-hop-beer-brewing-techniques/

I use it from time to time. I brew a kolsch that is only hopped at FW with Nelson. Turns out well.

Offline Koehler

• 1st Kit
  • RDWHAHB
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 08:09:34 am »
Thanks for the information guys. Does this mean if you only FWH that you would not need to have a boil prior to fermenting?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 08:11:58 am »
Thanks for the information guys. Does this mean if you only FWH that you would not need to have a boil prior to fermenting?
No, the hops remain in the kettle throughout the boil. You would still do a full boil as normal. The hops still need to be boiled to isomerize the alpha acids and create bitterness.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 08:25:22 am »
They are bittering hops for the lazy person that are added to the BK during the lauter. Add a few ibus to your recipe for the extra contact time. They are not smoother; they do not contribute anything more than standard full boil bittering hops. They can have the effect of reducing the big foamy hot break action though.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 08:43:56 am »
They are bittering hops for the lazy person that are added to the BK during the lauter. Add a few ibus to your recipe for the extra contact time. They are not smoother; they do not contribute anything more than standard full boil bittering hops. They can have the effect of reducing the big foamy hot break action though.

With regards to not being smoother, I've found the opposite to be true for my taste.  I'm not sure I notice a difference in flavor though.  Maybe, maybe not.  Koehler, give it a try and see for yourself - It won't make you lazy.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 09:30:03 am »

My perceptions disagree.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 09:38:33 am »
In my recipe software, I have just made utilization from 60 minute bittering and FWH additions equal. For the longest time I set FWH equal to a 20 minute addition but it didn't seem right.

When I want what I perceive to be a smoother bitterness, I use FWH and sometimes a combination of the two. I like to use FWH in less hoppy styles and darker beers. 

In lab studies, FWH apparently adds something like 10% more IBUs than a 60 minute addition? There is a multitude of info out there on this topic but at the end of the day you just have to use your experiences and perceptions.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 09:46:03 am »
In lab studies, FWH apparently adds something like 10% more IBUs than a 60 minute addition? There is a multitude of info out there on this topic but at the end of the day you just have to use your experiences and perceptions.
Yes, it's a ~10% increase over whatever boil length you use.  I'm the creatively lazy type, so I have basically decided to change all my hopping to either FWH, Whirlpool/Steep, or dry hopping.  My IPA I made recently with that new schedule is the one I like best so far, and if the extra 30/15/10 additions don't add much that I can tell, I'm better off adjusting my numbers to eliminate them.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 10:44:27 am »
Yes, it's a ~10% increase over whatever boil length you use.  I'm the creatively lazy type, so I have basically decided to change all my hopping to either FWH, Whirlpool/Steep, or dry hopping.  My IPA I made recently with that new schedule is the one I like best so far, and if the extra 30/15/10 additions don't add much that I can tell, I'm better off adjusting my numbers to eliminate them.

I'm beginning to wonder of anyone else has actually had an IBU analysis done, or if everybody is just quoting me!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Koehler

• 1st Kit
  • RDWHAHB
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 10:57:13 am »
Awesome thanks for all the information I definitely give it a try in the up and coming brews. Though I will not send it out for analysis, I might do a side by side comparison to see the difference of a fill 60 min boil hop addition to FWH and see how that comes out.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 11:03:49 am »
I'm beginning to wonder of anyone else has actually had an IBU analysis done, or if everybody is just quoting me!

Good question.  From what I recall at the 2014 seminar, he had two different stated lab results: 1 at 108% and 1 at 110%.  Not sure if those were just your numbers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 11:06:30 am »

Good question.  From what I recall at the 2014 seminar, he had two different stated lab results: 1 at 108% and 1 at 110%.  Not sure if those were just your numbers.

who gave the seminar?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 11:08:03 am »
Awesome thanks for all the information I definitely give it a try in the up and coming brews. Though I will not send it out for analysis, I might do a side by side comparison to see the difference of a fill 60 min boil hop addition to FWH and see how that comes out.

Start at pg. 29....http://www.ahaconference.org/wp-content/uploads/presentations/2008/DennyConn.pdf

www.dennybrew.com